Yanmar 2GM20F air filter

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
The air filter sponge has deteriorated. Is the the sponge necessary? I understand the air filter metal cone is actually a silencer. There no sand or dust to filter in a marine environment. So the sponge necessary?

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
it's really a silencer, and you're right - there's very little that would get in in a marine environment. Sucking in pieces of the foam would be worse than anything in the engine compartment...However, the replacement is cheap from Yanmar

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Ken, I am uncomfortable with no strainer so I got some thin foam from a small engine shop. This foam does not turn to dust as the Yanmar stuff does. The thinner foam goes over the perforated metal support.. I have had that now for about 15 years with no further deterioration problems.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Gloucester, VA
filters are cheap. I don't know about others but it takes a little work to keep the engine compartment clean. Little bits of dirt, flecks of paint off the engine, bugs and all kind of things can get sucked in the engine.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
1. Yes, its a silencer, not a filter.
2. ALL air even far out at sea contains micro-dust - typically at a minimum of 30,000 particles per cubic foot at 0,1µM ... and due to electronic surface charge can clump together to form progressively large particles. If youre located downwind of any major desert (Great Australian desert, Sahara, Gobi, etc.) can be much much larger amounts. Such debris can 'float' thousands and thousands of miles on the prevailing trade wind, etc. wind currents. The fine yellowish dust that occasionally settles on the Caribbean Islands, South Florida, Brazil, 'the Alps', etc. = Sahara Dust.
3. Consider a retrofit 'dry-type' of paper 'air filter' ... such as K&N products, etc.

:)

Oct 29, 2005
What i find ironic is the dust gets trap on the sponge and some months or years later the sponge gets deteriorated and everything gets suck in to the engine.

Oct 29, 2005
Rich, could you post the K&N part number here if you have them? Thanks.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
LOTS of retrofit choices ... all depends of the clearance to fit-up such for your particular 'set-up'.
http://www.knfilters.com/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=B-US-KN_Branded

DRY pleated paper type filter, definitely NOT (their) 'oil bath' versions !!!!!!!!
Always 'best' to oversize based on 'cubic foot per minute' intake rating of YOUR engine - for 'dwell time' inside the 'filter' for best particle removal efficiency and least 'pressure drop'.

Forgot to mention in previous post ... also, zillions of micro-sized SALT particles in the atmosphere anywhere near 'an ocean'. All that 'thick layer of dust that covers everything' you find inside your boat after a long sail in or near 'the ocean'.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The size of particles that could be filtered by that foam filter are not usually found suspended in air. Perhaps pieces of insulation or bugs that may find themselves in the air intake stream could be filtered out.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
This foam filters have been in use for years and have not been redesigned. I do not think the profit margin on them filters would be a cause for Yanmar to maintain a poorly designed part. I see it as an intake noise abatement fixture with limited filtering action to keep out large pieces that may get into the engine compartment. It actually does help limiting the intake of oil residues which tend to coat the intake tube. Why the use of such a flimsy foam? It is probably likely that it is much cheaper than other types of foam or paper filters that would offer a similar unrestricted flow. It seems that Yanmar favors air flow over filtration. It also seems to me that small particles suspended in the air pose no problems to the furnace high temperatures of the diesel engines; the intake tube has no moving parts to get clogged or fouled so I have actually stopped replacing the filters and for a few years now have kept in place just the metal cone for whatever is worth. Have not had any problems but just perhaps a small increase of oil residue in the intake tube which is easily wiped away. I wonder if all I would be getting by installing a retrofit filter would be a false and unnecessary sense of security.