Yanmar 2gm question

Status
Not open for further replies.

siggib

May 31, 2004
Hunter 31_83-87 Tampa
Hi there. 3Hurricanes and 5 weeks later, I went out for the first sunday afternoon sail. After I recharged my dead batteries the Yanmar diesel finally started. Short time later I noticed that I could not run higher then 2200 rpm in gear. After I disconnected the gearbox, I was able to run up to max. 3400 rpm just fine. With the engine in gear, nothing happened after 2200 rpm, increasing throttle resulted in black exhaust. So I ran the engine at 2000 rpm and barely made 4 miles an hour. I kept the engine on for the afternoon trip and the problem persisted. Before all that Hurricane trouble the engine was working just fine. What is your best guess ? Where should I look first ? Moisture in tank ? Fuel filter ? I am not a diesel Mechanic. Thanks for any help. Siggi

D

Droop

question first

Is the water stirred up with sea grass or other stuff. Try cleaning your salt water strainer and see if that helps.

A

Andy

Black smoke

Black smoke usually indicates overfueling. This can be caused by dirty fuel clogging injectors and letting them overfuel. In light of all the bad weather, I suggest a fuel change (tank purge and refill), new filters, and while you're at it change the oil filters. Make sure the air cleaner is clean and its getting plenty of air. (basically a complete service job) I would try all that before getting in any deeper.

J

Jay Hill

Dive the Boat

During heavy weather events, massive currents are developed that might not normally exist. With all the garbage that gets picked up, thrown about, and lands in the water, it is also possible that you have 36 pounds of plastic bags on your prop along with another 30 or 40 pounds of seagrass/kelp/weeds/fishing line. If you can have somebody look at it, it's worth it to make sure. Don't forget to clean the fuel system as recommended earlier!

P

Patrick

Elbow and or exhaust system

Before you pull the injectors, change the fuel, or anything else that is difficult. Check it very early in the troubleshooting process. Probably should check it anually anyway. Then change the fuel filters and see how they look before you start the injector service. Look at the archives for specifics.

Status
Not open for further replies.