Yanmar 2GM Primary Fuel filter

Aug 2, 2014
Hunter H31 VISA
Does anyone know the make and model of this filter housing? I believe it is a Racor but can't find the make or model. I changed the filter for the first time today and have the air bled to the point where the engine will stay running but I can't get full throttle. I figure it is time to read the manual and purge air from the filter to the injectors. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
Pretty sure that is Racor 215 filter head with with a WIX filter element. This is a spin on head. You can buy Racor elements too. In fact - there are three that fit the 200 series filter head.

Edit - There is also a different series head/element that uses a different water bowl design. They look identical

Charles

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2014
Hunter H31 VISA
Thats the one...thank you for your help. I think I may have found my problem. I'm not sure why it wasn't a problem before I change the filter but it is a potential problem now. My housing does not have part number 3 "Vent Plug" that is described in the manual. I have the port but there is what seems like airstone material that is broken off flush with the top of the housing. When I was working on trimming the filter and there was diesel above the material i could see air coming out of the material. Has anyone else seen anything like this?

Attachments

Jan 30, 2012
The vent plug is solid brass with O ring and when installed there can be no - and that means zero - air infiltration at this plug.

Charles

Aug 2, 2014
Hunter H31 VISA
Thats what I figures. I will pick up a plug and drill out / tap whatever is in there. I'm not sure why everything was fine to this point. I was thinking maybe it was some kind of air bleed that lets air out and stops from coming back in. Thank you for your help.

Dan

Jan 30, 2012
OK

When you remove the remnants of the prior plug the threads will not be so good.

So - instead of a 're-thread/re-tap' install a Heli-Coil thread insert. This will provide completely new threads.

The bonus is the thread inserts are stainless so you will end up with a trouble free fix.

Charles

jtm

Jun 14, 2004
Hunter 28.5 Dataw Island, SC
Looks like my rancor head setup. I use Sierra filters too. If you have the older engines, Make sure you get the right" micro " as the smaller particle blocker filter may be too restrictive and over exercise your pump mechanism.

Aug 2, 2014
Hunter H31 VISA
Thank you JTM. Does your Racor have the regular vent plug or does it look like mine?

jtm

Jun 14, 2004
Hunter 28.5 Dataw Island, SC
Sorry for lateness in seeing this, yesterday I have the regular. vent plug