Yanmar 2GM oil leak-engine removal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob La Salle

I have a 1985 Hunter 31 with a Yanmar 2GM, 13HP inboard diesel. A recent oil leak has been diagnosed as coming from the "gear case gasket". The repair estimate is $1,300-$1,500 and requires removal of the engine! (Actually, this estimate also includes replacement of the four motor mounts and most engine hoses, belts, filters, etc, but it still seems very expensive to me.) Has anyone had this problem and does the engine really need to be removed? Has anyone replaced just the gear case gasket and if so, at what cost and what kind of labor is involved?

D

Don

Motor mounts alone are $400+

Although I am not familiar with your particular problem, the quote sounds pretty reasonable if they fix the problem. On my '84 H31, the mounts alone cost over $400, not including any labor. If you do it, be sure they use OEM Yanmar motor mounts.

R

Roger Mummah

Email the Diesel Doctor

Hi Bob, We had the Diesel Doctor visit us aboard Endless Summer a few months back just to give us some advice on a mysterious loss of rpm's problem. With her advice we fixed it (removed the injectors, had them serviced, reinstalled them). She seems to be a helpful Yanmar expert and maybe she could give you some "straight" info. She is at dieseldoctor@aol.com If you can work on a car engine then this job should not be too much for you. Are you a shade tree mechanic? I'd lift the diesel out of it's compartment and sit it in the middel of the deck and replace the gasket there. Do you have the Yanmar parts manual and maintenance manual? You'll need them for sure! Good luck. Roger Mummah

D

Debra Blatnik

Motor Mounts etc.

Price doesn't sound bad, but if you don't like the estimate get 2 more. Also try to find out exactly what this estimate covers, so that you can compare apples to apples. I had the motor mounts replaced on my diesel. That and the alignment of the shaft made a great difference the performance of the engine -- much less vibration. If you have to pull the transmission, then you will need to get the engine aligned -- or do it yourself. This is not something I would try. And if the motor mounts are worn, best to get them replaced. (Excess virbration due to worn motor mounts, misaligned drive shaft can cause real problems.)

S

Sam Lust

Dillon's Creek Marina?

If the estimate was from Dillons Creek Marina I would be confident that the problem will be solved and the price, while not cheap, is RIGHT. If Memory serves the fellows name is Bruce Hall (I'm probably wrong about the name.) He will not do engine workk of this sort in the boat. He ALWAYS pulls them to do work of this sort on them. You end up with a better job. If this is the same fellow, I spent a good amount of time speaking with him at the A/C show and was very impressed with the depth of his knowledge, and one of only three people whom I believe realy know Yanmars. (The others are Larry Berlin of Mack Boring/Engine City, and Gordon who hosted the Diesel engines forum here some time back. If you can't do the work yourself I would feel confident in Dillons Creek.

Status
Not open for further replies.