Yanmar 2GM Fuel Filter Change, no Bleeding

Jun 1, 2016
Hunter 28.5 Lake City, MN
I purchased our '88 Hunter 28.5 last year, and the 2GM20F has run very well. But I figured that I should change the fuel filters, just to know when they were last changed. Taking a hint from a local salt, I removed both filters and filled the cups up with some fresh diesel fuel before re-installing them. After replacing the filters, I tried pumping the fuel lever on the side of the engine, but never did get anything to come out. Rather than bleed the air out, I figured that I wouldn't be out much to try to start it, and IT WORKED. The engine did slow on and off, so I gave it more fuel (lever) and it even stopped a couple times, but it always restarted. I let it run for quite a while after it smoothed out to make sure that I have all the air out of the lines.

Not sure if I lucked out, or if it can be repeated, but it appears that pre-filling the filter cups helped a LOT.

Storm blew in, so I didn't get a change to change the raw water impeller... Maybe tomorrow.

Mike

Jun 2, 2011
Hunter H33 Port Credit Harbour, ON.
Some engines are self bleeding and I think that the GM may be. I always bleed them properly tough. If the pump won't pump the actuator leaver on the pump is probably on the lobe of the cam. (inside the engine) If you bump the motor over to rotate the crank shaft the exterior leaver will have a different feel. The levers, both the internal and external only pull down on the diaphragm inside the pump. If the pump is pumping you don't have to mess with pre-filling the filter housings. You have to be careful to not overcrank the engine with the cooling water intake open.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
My 4jhe is self bleeding. Your 2gm is not. I had one in my hunter 30t. You got lucky and filling the canisters is a good idea. I could never use the lever on the lift pump so what I use to do is open the bleed screw on the filter, open the compression levers and crank the engine a few times. Fuel would start squirting and mission accomplished. Close the compression levers and start it up.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I am pretty sure the GM are not self bleeding and most sailors I know add a electric pump to help with bleeding
and my 2007 3YM and YM 's are self bleeding I was told when I purchased my boat.
But always filled the fuel filter when I had a GM and never needed bleeding.
Nick

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
the 2 GM 20F is not self bleeding. the manual pump lever can depress with some resistance , then it depresses further. when you 1st start to bleed some folks do not press the lever down far enough , so bleeding takes forever. i always pre fill the filters with fresh diesel and have never had to crack an injector to get all the air out. you can also add a manual 'squeeze bulb' air pump or an electric auxiliary. but it is a real mess if you do not do a good job, as air can be introduced into the fuel lines. better to just bleed it properly.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I have a 2GM. When I change the primary alone I usually don't have to bleed when I pre-fill the bowl. When I change out the secondary I have to bleed. We have a squeeze bulb so it's pretty easy.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
On a 2GM20 you got awful lucky as it can be quite hard to bleed the air out of them. I don't quite use the lift pump to bleed air but will use the decompression lever and have someone hit the starter while I work the bleeding screws. A little messy and does require some cleaning afterwards. It is always a good idea to fill the bowls.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I have a 2GM, and the first time I ran my tank out of diesel while offshore, I refilled with the spare 5 gals of diesel I had on-board, but it took almost 2 hours of manual priming with the little fuel pump to even see fuel at the bleed valve on the secondary filter. The first time I changed the filters. I refilled the housings before reinstalling, It took about 1/2 hour of priming before I could restart. The second time I ran out of fuel (Yes I know I am an idiot!), I was less than a mile from my dock and was able to get a quick tow home so I didn't even try to re-prime. I checked here, and found the results people had with squeeze bulbs. I ran down to my local West Marine, and picked one up. I was able to easily add it between my tank and primary filter, Using the squeeze bulb, it took only minutes to re-prime to the bleeder valve on the secondary filter, and the 2GM started right back up. We were back on the water in less than an hour.

I highly recommend this solution.