Yanmar 2gm engine died

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
throt·tle (thrŏtl)
Share:​
n.
1. A valve that regulates the flow of a fluid, such as the valve in an internal-combustion engine that controls the amount of air-fuel mixture entering the cylinders.
2. A lever or pedal controlling such a valve.
tr.v. throt·tled, throt·tling, throt·tles
a.
To regulate the flow of (fuel) in an engine.
b. To regulate the speed of (an engine) with a throttle.
2. To suppress: tried to throttle the press.
3. To strangle (a person); choke.
Interesting discrepancy in that set of definitions. As a noun the throttle is limited to being a valve or the lever controlling a valve, but as a verb it means to regulate the flow of fuel, regardless of whether you’re regulating it with a valve or by changing the output of a pump. So you could throttle an engine without using a throttle!?

• Ha

3GGG

Jun 23, 2024
Hunter 285 Guntersville
Your engine shows an RPM on your Tach.
The spec for the Yanmar 2GM is
The continuous rating output at the crankshaft is 11.8 kW, at 3400 revolutions per minute (rpm). The maximum output at the crankshaft is 13.4 kW, at 3600 rpm.
80%is 2880 RPM. The Spec says you can run the engine at 3400. On your boat you need to identify what RPM gets you to your hull speed. If it is below 3400 that would be golden. If it is at 2880 that would mean you could run the engine at that RPM all day and go as fast as your boat hull permits. You would have reserve power to deal with foul weather conditions.

For this exercise to resolve the oil issue, I would run the engine spinning the prop at the dock fast enough for the engine temp to get up to 125ºF. I would record the RPM needed to reach this temp range. Once the engine temp hits that range I would shut down and change the oil. Note the oil will be hot take precaution not to get burnt. Pumping out the oil should be easy. Change the filter and then pour in new oil. Repeat the process.

The throttle drift is a separate issue. More info is needed. I would look at the linkage. You may have something loose in the linkage. Throttles are designed to be set and stay at that position. Not sure what type of throttle linkage you have.
I dont have a working tach or an oil temp gauge. Tach is on the list to fix

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
While not convenient for normal underway operations, you can purchase a digital tach fairly cheaply on Amazon or at your local auto parts store. You attach reflective strip to the engine drive pully. The "gun" is pointed at the spinning pully and reads the rpm. It is a useful tool to check the set and check the accuracy of your tach (when you get around to installing one.) It is also useful when trouble shooting engine performance issues, especially if you don't trust or believe you tach. Not expensive and a very useful tool for the situation you are in

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
You don't really mean an Oil Temp gauge. I think you mean an Oil Pressure Gauge. If you know the threaded fitting size where the oil pressure sender should fit (either National Pipe Thread (NPT) or British Standard Pipe Thread (BPST)) you can purchase a mechanical gauge for about $35 and at least temporarily get a reading on your actual oil pressure. MAKE SURE you use the correct pipe thread for your engine. I am sure someone on here can tell you the correct thread you will need.

If it is temperature you are interested in you need a Engine Temperature gauge or as a temporary alternative you can buy a IR temp gun (fairly inexpensive for "non- precision gauges) and take a reading on the output side of the engine thermostat. Again, not convenient nor advised for normal underway operation but you can use it for troubleshooting.

• Helpful
Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
If it is a Yanmar, then it is probably a BSPT (which I believe is the same as Japanese Standard Pipe Thread) unless the PO messed around with the fitting at some time in the past. If it is, you can buy a fitting with a male BSPT and a NPT female so you can use a guage from any auto parts store.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@3GGG For your purpose, what @smokey73 describes would be reasonably cost-effective temporary solutions and yield important data for your boat ownership. The temperature I spoke of was engine temperature, but it could also be oil temperature. The IR gauges would give you the answer you seek.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
While not convenient for normal underway operations, you can purchase a digital tach fairly cheaply on Amazon or at your local auto parts store. You attach reflective strip to the engine drive pully. The "gun" is pointed at the spinning pully and reads the rpm. It is a useful tool to check the set and check the accuracy of your tach (when you get around to installing one.) It is also useful when trouble shooting engine performance issues, especially if you don't trust or believe you tach. Not expensive and a very useful tool for the situation you are in
I bought one recently, about $16 from Amazon, because I suspected my Yanmar tachometer was inaccurate. This tool confirmed my suspicions. My Yanmar tachometer consistently reads about 25% low. I don’t know if there’s a way to recalibrate it, but it’s not critical. Now that I know, I can do that math.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
A replacement tach (not from Yanmar) is not to terribly expensive and depending on the brand, you can "calibrate it" when you set it up. I'll try to dig up a link to the one I bought. It fit the stock hole (with a little tweaking) in the instrument panel and used the flywheel pickup as the original did. With the digital tach you can calibrate it down to about +- 25 rpm or so. I am very happy with mine. If I find the link I will post it.