Yanmar 2gm engine died

3GGG

Jun 23, 2024
Hunter 285 Guntersville
Took my Hunter 285 out for the first time last night.

Ran fine for several miles. I pushed the throttle to max and the oil alert came on. I throttled back to idel and the engine died. It started back up and I idled back to the marina.

Where should I look first?

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Did you check the oil level before you restarted the engine and motored back to the marina ?

When that light goes on it means the oil pressure is very low. Depending on the oil pressure sensor, It's often an "Oh Crap" light. Not a "Oil pressure seems kinda low" light.
Even if they light wasn't on when you slowly motored back, it can be low enough to cause engine damage.

Go check the oil level. When was it last changed ? When was the oil filter changed ?

Fwiw: you usually never need to use max throttle on a sailboat. Once the boat hits hull speed it's a waste of fuel because it won't go any faster.

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
Not an expert on this engine but here is what i would consider
Assuming pressure switch is correct, then
1. Oil level is low or wrong viscosity
I would change oil and filter. Cut open filter and hope that there is no metal filings inside - this would be a big deal.
After oil change, does engine operate at normal throttle?
If engine operates better after oil change - watch for thinning oil indicating fuel leakage into crankcase from worn rings or a problem with high pressure pump

2. oil pump is worn, or
You may have to add a gage to get an idea of true oil pressure. Any relationship to engine speed that gives you any clues?
If this looks like a good direction, you may consider pulling the valve cover to verify that oil seems circulating to the top of the engine
Or consider dropping the oil pan and installing a new oil pump.

3. oil usage at bearings is more than it should be by bearing wear or oil blockage.
If the pump is not the issue, then, unfortunately, either you have bearing wear or blocked/restricted oil passage

4. Either oil flow is restricted at pump suction, or restrictions at oil passages. Some people flush the engine with chemicals or adding diesel fuel. Never tried it and there are plenty of comments on both sides of this issue.

Good luck

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Where should I look first?
Here's a good place to start :

1722792098754.png

It's quite likely you're engine has seen some major damage after a stunt like that.

Did it ever occur to you "There may be a problem with the oil level" or do you not know how to check your oil level ?

Best of luck with this. You're going to need it.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Same as above.. the switch turns the light on at 1-4 psi, .. They do go bad occasionally.. Additionally, there is an oil pressure control valve in the middle of the oil filter boss on the engine.. sometimes a piece of debris can lodge in the little ball and stick the controller open resulting in low oil pressure.. If the light went out when you lowered the throttle, then it is most likely a restricted oil pickup or a really dirty oi filter.. If the light stayed on at idle, then there is a more expensive problem..
Note that the light comes on when the switch connects the connected wire to ground.. if that connection has come off the switch and is touching a ground or if the wire insulation has chafed through and connected to ground, the light will go on..