YanMar 2GM Conversion

ChetW

Jan 31, 2009
2 31 NH
Yo Ho Mates,

Can anyone tell me if the Yan Mar 2GM fresh water diesel would need a different heat exchanger, raw water pump, etc, etc. to be used in salt water.
My 84 31 has seen nothing but fresh water it's whole life but we're thinking of taking it to the ocean. Any Thoughts ????
Thanks for the input,
CW

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
CW, the basic answer is No. You say your 2 GM is "fresh water diesel". Which means it should already have the heat exchanger (into which you have coolant (also refered to as antifreeze). Make sure the level is appropriate and go have fun. Raw water pump is also the same. Just make sure you have a spare impeller on board and know how to change it. Have fun

Last edited:
Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Chet: I assume that you are saying that your boat has been a fresh water environment all of it's life. I also assume that you have a 2GMxxF with a heat exchanger.

We have our boat in a fresh water environment too but we go between the fresh water and salt water on a regular basis. There is no need to worry about doing this. You obviously need to watch out for some of the perils like barnacles and sea critters but other than that you just go.

ChetW

Jan 31, 2009
2 31 NH
CW, the basic answer is No. You say your 2 GM is "fresh water diesel". Which means it should already have the heat exchanger (into which you have coolant (also refered to as antifreeze). Make sure the level is appropriate and go have fun. Raw water pump is also the same. Just make sure you have a spare impeller on board and know how to change it. Have fun
Thank You for the reply. It's pretty much what I thought but just wanted to be sure.

ChetW

Jan 31, 2009
2 31 NH
Chet: I assume that you are saying that your boat has been a fresh water environment all of it's life. I also assume that you have a 2GMxxF with a heat exchanger.

We have our boat in a fresh water environment too but we go between the fresh water and salt water on a regular basis. There is no need to worry about doing this. You obviously need to watch out for some of the perils like barnacles and sea critters but other than that you just go.
Thanks Steve, that's what I thought but wasn't totally sure. We're thinking to moving the boat from NH lake to Key Largo. Should be a fun trip (long) but fun.