yanmar 2GM 18hp charging light glow

Status
Not open for further replies.

IgorC

Apr 12, 2008
Hunter 29.5 -
On my Yanmar diesel the charging light come on. I have tightened the belt and it seems to fix the problem. However, when I was motoring in the dark I have noticed that charging light is still glowing slightly is only visible in the dark. I check charge on the battery and it was around 13.8V so i think alternator is working fine. I am not sure if the problem is with belt and I have to tighten it even more or the problem is with alternator. Any ideals or suggestions?

Grizz

Jan 13, 2006
Hunter 28.5 Park Ridge, IL
Same engine, slightly different condition

My charging light will glow if/when I pull the key while under power (old habit to prevent the key from being snapped in half by an errant foot), but won't glow if left in and in the 'on' position. I've given up trying to figure it out, 'cause the batteries are charged (the volt-meters tell me so!) and it doesn't appear to be broke, so fixing it won't improve anything. Good luck w/ your gremlin search!

Nov 28, 2004
Hunter 310 San Pedro
Weak Warning

Igor, You may have corrosion on the lead to your sensor. Check the leads for high resistance. It could indicate internal (under the coating ) corrosion of the lead wire.

IgorC

Apr 12, 2008
Hunter 29.5 -
light glow

Grizz, You are right it work the same way for me. If I take out key charging light start to glow if I leave key in start position lights goes away. I think I can stop worry about it. :) Thank you for responses!

Status
Not open for further replies.