Yanmar 29HP motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

James Eastwood

Has anyone had knowledge of any recent Yanmar 29HP motors overheating?. If so what,if anything has been done to resolve the problem.

Aug 9, 2005
Hunter 28.5 Palm Coast, FL
read the archives on engines overheating

Then check your strainer, your belts, you water pump impellers and your exhaust elbow.

D

Doug

3YH30

Yanmar replace the heat exchanger on my boat. I had some unexplaned over heating on my H36. If you search this site you will find some 33 owners who had te same problem.

N

nick cameron

yanmar overheating

Join the Club! There appear to be a number of recent H33s with the new Yanmar 3YM30 which are experiencing the overheating alarm going off when sustaining 2800 rpm plus for any period of time. I have gone back to the dealer US Yachts in Sydney and am awaiting a fomal reply on what to do and who pays. In the meantime David Whitworth H33 2004 model (same as mine) appears to have done the most investigation, see forum archives. He has very recent test data which is most interesting but leave it up to him as to whether he wants to put it out on the net.Regards Nick Nick

J

John Ehricht

Cosmoline

The Yanmar 3YM30 had cosmoline on the coils of the heat exchanger which should have been removed before assembly. As time goes on, the cosmoline bakes to the coils and prevents the heat exchanger to work and the engine overheats. After the cosmoline is removed, there is no problem. Our boat went to the bottom during Katrina. We are trying to get a replacement. This issue will be a primary concern on a replacement. The last time I was involved with this, Yanmar had to pay for the repair but told me they thought it was Hunter's fault because it happened at Alachua in the Hunter Factory. How did cosmoline get on the coils inside the heat exchanger without taking the heat exchanger off? The engine comes to Alachua in a crate with the heat exchanger already assembled on the block.

J

John G.

Time for Hunter/Yanmar to come clean

There are two sides to this story. One side is presented in an answer to your question. It leaves one with the impression that, Yanmar is to be blamed for the overheating, purportedly because of cosmoline - whatever that is, being left on the heat exchanger coils when engines were shipped in crates to Hunter. As you have read, this stuff gets baked onto the coils and in turn reduces the flow and cooling efficiency of the heat exchanger. Yanmar for its part (through its representative)told me the engines are shipped dry to Hunter and coolant is added not by Yanmar but after shipment. The Yanmar rep claimed that, unfortunately 100% coolant concentrate was put into a number of engines, which intially caused those engines to run hot and therefore overheat. He told me as the engine overheats a silicone residue from the 100% coolant is left on the coils that reduces the flow and efficiency of the heat exchanger. You will see from the archives that, engines that are subsequently flushed out and refilled with new (and correct 50/50) water/coolant mix and also had the heat exchanger properly cleaned or replaced, appear to go on to operate normally. It is pretty subjective whose story you believe since Hunter remains mum on the subject. Having had my 2004 Hunter 33 'done' by Yanmar and witnessing the blood-red colour and resultant breakdown of the normally pink coolant, I tend to believe the Yanmar version. At a point during my overheating problems I had to keep topping up the coolant level and replaced over 2 litres of coolant over the course of the experience. That did give me some respite from the continual overheating. I can only guess it was because the coolant concentrate was obviously reduced from the reported initial 100% level. Nonetheless, I am convinced that, the subsequent overheating was caused by the silicone residue blockage that Yanmar said settled on the coil. Anyway, from my personal experience the use of the 'wrong coolant explanation' is not inconsistent with some of the shoddy workmanship on my 2004 Hunter 33. The other reason I believe the Yanmar version is that - in my case anyway, the heating problems began after about 20 hours of engine operation which in my view tends to be more consistent with the coolant 'residue' story because it takes a while for that residue to accumulate. The cosmoline blockage would have occurred much sooner if the stuff was already present on the coils. In any event, it is sad that purchasers of new boats from Hunter have not been alerted to this serious problem that the manufacturer is very well aware of. Purchasers bought these boats in good faith from Hunter not from Yanmar. Rather, Hunter leaves it to the individual owner to actually experience this frustrating overheating problem while operating the boat - sometimes in difficult circumstances - thereby possibly endangering the user and his new boat. That is unconscionable. I can only guess the chant is 'just keep pushing out these babies' - bent keels and all.

J

John Blakelyh

Yanmar 3YM30

I repowered my l985 Hunter 31 myself this winter. I bought the new 3YM30 Yanmar motor at the Annapolis Boat Show from Bayshore Marine in Annapolis. I have about 80 hours on the motor, most at 2900 rpm's or higher. To date I have had no overheating problem. From the few readings I have seen, I wonder if the problem is contained to new motors that Hunter installed. This appears to be a very reliable motor. By the way, I had to add the coolant in its 50-50 mixture myself as the owners manual advised. It did not come filled from the factory.

J

John G.

Avoiding Liability Downstream

Looks like John Blakelyh's experience supports the Yanmar story. So one must continue to wonder why does'nt Hunter say something about the overheating problem on the 3YM engines in its boats. One guess is that, if the engines that were overheating show related mechanical deterioration/failure down the road, Hunter wants to have nothing to do with it. The best way to ensure that kind of self-protection is to say nothing publicly and do not admit there is or has been a problem. It may take some time but that attitude towards customers always comes back to haunt manufacturers. It is only a matter of time.

D

Doug Colling

Know Problems Have Been Fixed

All of Angus Yachts of Toronto's customers with overheating problems were been were contacted as soon as the problem and specific engine type were known and the solution was identified and all of the engines have now been repaired. All of the costs associated with the repairs was absorbed by Yanmar. Why would they assume full responsibility for all work performed in the United States and in Canada if they did not feel that it was there responsibility? Both Angus and Hunter pushed Yanmar and their dealers in Canada and the United States, up to the the highest level until the solution was found and all customer engines in both countries were fixed. The Yanmar representative in the United States, Mastry Engines, had a different take on the problem and the solution than that being presented by Total Power in Canada. Total Power initially believed that the problem was being caused by the alternator and had recommended changing out the alternators in all of the problem boats until they were "set straight" by Mastery. Doug Colling Vice President Finance and Operations Angus Yachts of Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.