Yanmar 20gm starting issue

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
You haven't reported your progress, which would be nice for those who tried to help you.
"What's it do when you hit the start button? It was trying to turn over but never seemed to get enough compression to fire?"
If it isn't turning over, you have at least some compression. Diesels do not use spark plugs. They fire on compression only. Glow plugs are only to heat the intake so warmer air and, in some cases fuel, enter the combustion chamber which aids in starting.

3GGG

Jun 23, 2024
Hunter 285 Guntersville
It's back to being difficult to start. I am working down the chain. Cables are the next to be replaced. Last time trying to start the engine made the positive terminals get very hot. I will be getting some new cables today and will replace and retry next time I am at the marina. This was on advice of the marina diesel guy.

3GGG

Jun 23, 2024
Hunter 285 Guntersville
Update: Replaced the positive wires to the battery switch and the negative linking cable. Sanded the surfaces of what I could, nuts, washers and used a metal brush on the switche's posts, used dielectric grease for all cable connections. Started on second attempt. Will see how it does after sitting a while.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
There is some talk about this engine in another forum that suggest it may need as much as 60% throttle, so keeo throttle position on your list of "open issues" to probe even after you take care of your battery cables, etc.

3GGG

Jun 23, 2024
Hunter 285 Guntersville
I will. Every time since replacing the cables it has started in idle position.Hoping that I have fixed the issue.