Yanmar 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA
I have an 86 31' with the Yanmar 2 diesel berthed in southern Cal. I have a good deal of hobbyist experience with gasoline auto motors, litte with the marine variants, and none at all with diesels. I did download the Yanmar manual thankfully posted on this website. Still not sure, though whether diesel oil comes in weights and if so, what weight or multi-weight is recommended for this engine?

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 33.5 Elbow, Saskatchwen, Can.
You could use a 15-40 diesel oil that should cover all your temp. ranges. The Yanmar manual shows the different weights of oil for temp. I believe it's on page 19 of the Yanmar operations manual.
I myself have been using Shell rotella.
Hope this helps
Don

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Don is correct..Most of the majors have a great diesel oil.. Shell's Rotella T 15/40 is excellent.. Available at Wal Mart .. and while there you can pick up the Fram oil filter 3593A.. assuming you have a Yanmar 2 GMF .

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Your engine calls for 30wt Cx oil. I think Yanmar has upgraded their current standards to 15W40 for the 2GM engine.

When you go to your favorite store for oil you will see that there are oils that have a "S" or a "C" designation on them. The S oils are rated for "spark" Gasoline engines. The C oils are rated for "compression" engines. The letter that follows the S/C is the current SAE standards for oil.

We always use Delo 400 because it is always available at most any place that sells oil. The Rotella is usually more difficult to find in our part of the country.

Your engine only uses something less than 2 qts. for a change (including the filter). I suggest that you only purchase Yanmar filters. You can save a buck or two with brand "x" but considering you will probably only change your oil once a year, why risk it to "maybe" save $1-2 and sometimes the brand x filters are more expensive.

You should also change out your raw water impeller if you have not done this. You can get all of your Yanmar parts at Boatswaines Locker. I think that they are over there in Seal Beach (not sure). Be sure to have an additional impeller, drive belts and fuel filters on board. If you have not replaced all of these items, it is a good time to do it now. Save the old stuff for spares if they are in good condition.

Doing all of this stuff now will save you some time/money rather than waiting until you are trying to replace these items when you are outside of the break water and something craps out.

Status
Not open for further replies.