Yanmar 2 gmf

Jul 6, 2013
S-2 9.2 30' Superior,Wi
I was just informed that my yanmar 2 gm-f is for fresh water only? Is this correct? I have never heard of such a thing, but this boat and motor are new to us. Had outboard on our old boat(O'day 23') so anything is possible until I eliminate said problem. I have gone through owners manual again, and have found nothing to suggest this. Please someone tell me this was told to me just to get me wound up, again. Thanks, Bob

Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA
Someone's pullin your leg or your pullin ours. Even if true, there isn't much salt water in your neck of the woods is there?

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I was just informed that my yanmar 2 gm-f is for fresh water only?
It'd be great fun to wind you up even further but, being so close to Christmas, it just wouldn't be very neighbourly.

I think what someone meant to tell you that your engine is fresh water cooled (mixture of fresh water and antifreeze) as opposed to one which is salt water (ocean water) cooled.

Below is a page from the service manual and that's all they make.

Attachments

Jul 6, 2013
S-2 9.2 30' Superior,Wi
Sorry to say, I am being completely honest. I knew I was getting my chain jerked, but having been positive on subjects before,and been completely wrong, thought I had better check. The reason for my concern is we are outfitting our boat for an extended cruise(1-2) years in northern caribbean. This was a major leap up the scale from our 23' boat. The differences I do not have to mention here, are huge from what we were used to. I knew that if I would go a ahead with our plans and not check, I would put our trip and quite possible my neck at risk if my wife's trip was delayed much more. So, red face and all, I thank you. Bob

Aug 16, 2009
Bob, I'm not sure where you sailed your former 23', but sounds like a quantum leap taking the 31' blue water sailing for that long. I don't know how old your boat is, and really, it probably doesn't matter too much. Things will break and go wrong with the boat in that time span. If you were unsure whether your engine was built for salt water, I have a feeling you may want to acquire a little mechanical/electrical/plumbing knowledge before you set off. I don't mean to imply anything by the title, but I found "A sail of Two Idiots" to be well worth reading because it presented a realistic picture of how many things can break down on cruising boats, and how crucial it was that Renee and her husband's individual skills and personalities complemented each other.

Jul 6, 2013
S-2 9.2 30' Superior,Wi
All constructive criticizing will be put to work. You are correct about lack of experience. We sailed on Leech Lake some, But mostly Lake of the Woods, on Mn./Canada border. This lake, although not blue water by any means, is very demanding and a good teacher. Shallow in most parts, it can go from 2' to 5-6 ' waves in under 10 to 15 min. I know you are saying "big deal" it is if you in a 23' boat. We have been on the ocean in larger boats, on Lake Superior with our O'day a and also our 25' motor cruiser. Is one ever completely prepared? I did read "sail of 2 idiots" and many more. My question arose from a argument I was in about a I/o in salt water, and went from there. The other party(a dock side sailor) made mention of the fact, and I was not sure. I admit I do not know everything, never will, but the collective wisdom that places like this really make it easy to arm ones self with knowledge gained from others. We have been on the water for over 30 years now, and I am sure you are thinking, "the dumb a-- didn't even know that?" Our boat is a 1984, I bought it intentionally because of the solid glass hull. I did not want a cored hull. We have spent over 3 years in the planning stage, finally found a very lightly used boat that was built just for us. I do hope I have not offended anyone, that is not my intention. I(we) have been dreaming this dream, finally putting it all together. I had hoped by asking questions on sites like this, the collective wisdom would be offered gladly. I was not born a sailor,but am willing to try and learn.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
All constructive criticizing will be put to work. You are correct about lack of experience. We sailed on Leech Lake some, But mostly Lake of the Woods, on Mn./Canada border. This lake, although not blue water by any means, is very demanding and a good teacher. Shallow in most parts, it can go from 2' to 5-6 ' waves in under 10 to 15 min. I know you are saying "big deal" it is if you in a 23' boat. We have been on the ocean in larger boats, on Lake Superior with our O'day a and also our 25' motor cruiser. Is one ever completely prepared? I did read "sail of 2 idiots" and many more. My question arose from a argument I was in about a I/o in salt water, and went from there. The other party(a dock side sailor) made mention of the fact, and I was not sure. I admit I do not know everything, never will, but the collective wisdom that places like this really make it easy to arm ones self with knowledge gained from others. We have been on the water for over 30 years now, and I am sure you are thinking, "the dumb a-- didn't even know that?" Our boat is a 1984, I bought it intentionally because of the solid glass hull. I did not want a cored hull. We have spent over 3 years in the planning stage, finally found a very lightly used boat that was built just for us. I do hope I have not offended anyone, that is not my intention. I(we) have been dreaming this dream, finally putting it all together. I had hoped by asking questions on sites like this, the collective wisdom would be offered gladly. I was not born a sailor,but am willing to try and learn.
I like your additude......just keep doing what you are doing and above all have fun doing it ...as for advice its good to have.....just take what you need and leave the rest ....fair winds.....

regards

woody

Aug 16, 2009
Bob, I too did not mean to offend. You have been on the water a lot longer than I. As long as you have your eyes wide open and the spirit of adventure in your soul, I commend you and your dream. Don't let anyone stand in your way.

Trace

May 16, 2013
S2 9.2C Hernando Beach, Fl.
[QUOTE)
Our boat is a 1984, I bought it intentionally because of the solid glass hull. I did not want a cored hull.[/QUOTE]

Hi Bob, I have a 1986 9.2CC and it does not have a solid glass hull. I have recently changed every thru-hull and added a new one for a raw water foot pump for the galley sink. My hull is wood cored.

Are you sure yours is solid glass? Maybe they changed in 1986?

Trace,
"Sinner's Song"
Hernando Beach, Fl.

Jul 6, 2013
S-2 9.2 30' Superior,Wi
The thru hull I replaced this fall was thru glass, will find out early spring if other side is,too. We have to put another thru hull in for some plumbing work, will find out then. From what I have read and studied, they were all glass. I have read the 35'(11 m) were cored, but never have been on one, so cannot say for certain. I know the deck is cored, as I have two spots,starboard stanchion and port block that I need to attend to this spring. Survey showed slight water present. Only spots! Thank you. Happy Holidays!! Bob