Yanmar 2 Gm...pfhsst...pfshsst...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2007
Hunter 30 Centerport
OK Captians....,

How about this one.

After 2 wonderful days of sailing on the LI Sound on the wasy back to the mooring my daughter started up the my old Yanmar 2 GM. It started right up but it was making a pfhsst...pfhsst...pfhsst...pfhsst sound :eek:. Not that didn't sound right....

My daughter was at the wheel and she geve it a little more throttle and the sound went away and the mortor ran fine. :confused:
Any suggestions?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Decompression lever partially engaged.. vibration flipped it over after start?
One valve clearance almost zero (check valve clearance) ..?
Piece of chunk excluder (air filter) stuck temporarily in intake valve? (check air cleaner)

Jan 4, 2007
Hunter 30 Centerport
Well, I found out what it was... It turned out that it was the alternator belt rubbing on the belt guard...Today it started making the sound and I noticed that there was a black dust all over the front of the motor. Turns out it was coming from the belt from rubbing on the guard on the alternator. The belt It broke yesterday on the way out... So since it was only a day sail I husbanded the electric power and had a great day out with my daughter and her friends...Any time the kids want to go sailing its a good day....

The replacement belt form PepBoys costs $6.95....At last a part that not marked marine at a price the rest of us can afford...

Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA
Nelson, what was the Pep boys part number for the belt?

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
This is a common problem if you do not get the correct belt for the Yanmar pulley's. They have a different V than the ones on cars. The black dust is usually an indication of the wrong belt (even though it may be the correct length).

I would either use a Yanmar belt or a Gates equivalent.

Status
Not open for further replies.