Yanmar 2 GM kill lever

Lost

May 31, 2014
Hunter 33 Texhoma
New here and to sailing. I just purchased a 1981 33 great deal but with that comes work. The eng kill lever will not stop the engine you have to cover the intake to kill it. My question is there any way to check the linkage without removing the eng front cover to access it. When I move it I feel no cam or at the most a slight resistance at full throw of the lever there is no spring tension feel . I have a book on it but there is a lack of info on adjustment or what could be keeping the eng from turning off. Thanks for any advise

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I would encourage you to take the front cover off. There are all kinds of things within which require familiarity, routine maintenance and routine inspection. It isn't an automobile - you may need to find something in a hurry someday in an emergency which isn't the time to learn.

The linkage is most likely mechanical. The stop cable is attached to a stop lever which cuts the fuel flow. Watch it (the lever at the engine) as someone pulls the cable to see if it actually moves. If not, you have just identified the problem which saves lots of guessing here.

Lost

May 31, 2014
Hunter 33 Texhoma
The cable is good and the outside linkage is good I was hoping for another solution I may have overlooked before pulling the front off the engine. With having to pull the injector pump crank pully water pump and such it was worth asking. Thanks for the reply

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I don't understand how you can be certain "The cable is good and the outside linkage is good..." without knowing what happens at the engine end of the cable. I infer you cannot get access to that linkage even though it sounds like you can get into the engine bay as you indicate you did "cover the intake to kill it."

To state what you already know, the only reason it won't shut down is the fuel continues to feed it so clearly, the stop cable isn't affecting the flow.

Lost

May 31, 2014
Hunter 33 Texhoma
Sorry for not being clear on my question. I have been all around the outside of the engine with the access panels removed . 4 each on my model I had to replace the exhaust hose and the water pump impeller. I disconnect the throttle and shutoff cables to make sure they were not effecting the eng and operated them by hand still the only way to shut the engine down was to cover the intake. Operated the linkage on the engine. The shutoff linkage runs through the front eng cover and attaches to the gov. Linkage behind that cover.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Don, I think that Lost is asking about removing the front gear case on the engine (governor access) and not an access panel on the boat?
Lost, the cam on that lever stops the fuel flow out of the injectors.. I don't think you can see anything without pulling the injection pump and looking at the inside parts of the linkage.. If the lever moves full throw (try loosening the cable and moving it to kill manually) and the engine does not stop, then there is something amiss in the inside linkage.. but the most probable thing would be for the kill wire to have slipped in the holder, resulting in the lever not being pulled far enough back to shut off fuel. Loosen the wire screw and pull the lever by hand to see if it stops.. Good Luck.
EDIT: oops my post was a few seconds late.. sounds like you've already done as I suggested.. now comes the hard part..

Last edited:

Lost

May 31, 2014
Hunter 33 Texhoma
Yes I was hoping for another way thanks for the quick replies as it looks like I will be pulling it apart .