Yanmar 14HTE Oil Presure (Hunter 49)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 15, 2008
Hunter 49 Sydney
Hi,
I have a Hunter 49 with Yanmar 14HTE engine. The oil presure is all over the place from 50 psi it drops into the red. If you change the engine rev's up or down, it will resume its correct reading around 50psi. Oil level is fine Oil filter is also fine, (both new) I beleive its the oil sender.
That said the oil presure sender as supplied with no presure measure around 89 ohms, the new one suplied by Yanmar # 119773-91650 measure around 10 ohms with no oil presure.
We have a teleflex pannel, which provides digital guages only on the Hunter 49 I beleive. The new oil presure sender cause the oil presure guage to read 100 PSI full scale by just connecting it, and drops to 0 if you start the motor.
My gut feeling is Hunter have changed the Yanmar oil presure sender for another unit to be compatible with the Teleflex pannel.

Does anyone have any idea's or experence on this combination.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I don't know specifically, but will say that my 4JHE has had three sending units and two gauges yet continues to read little oil pressure at idle. One sending unit was dead when I got the boat, one was defective out of the box, and the third one reads incorrectly. I checked the unit with a mechanical gauge when I had 400 hours on it and when I had 1700 hours and it reads normal. (I had an engine survey when I got the boat and he confirmed oil pressure was good with a mechanical gauge.) I think the oil pressure sending unit is troublesome as I was told. The sending units at $200 each are too pricey to throw at the problem. The threads to the block fitting are not standard either. In my case, I am going to take the fitting to a machine shop and put a different gauge / sender combo on it some time. Best of luck. maybe Yanmar's AU distributor can point you to someone within the organization who would know. (Also, just to be sure it wasn't the harness, I wired the gauge to a separate sending wire once to no change.)

Feb 15, 2008
Hunter 49 Sydney
4JH4-HTE engine oil presure sender

Hi Rick, thanks for your responce. Yep I cann see lots of issues around the traps with the Oil Presure Sender. Hunter responded

"The unit was installed by Yanmar at the distributor level (I believe). You would better served to contact Mastry Engine Center at 727-522-9471"

The Hunter 49 has a Teleflex guage system. Basicly all data is sent out across a common bus from box fitted to the Yanmar. Then the guages are drawn on the screen of the Teleflex. I then connected f the Raymarine E120 plotter tot he Teleflex and have the Engine guages vissible on the Plotter. So short story - no wire to replace, accept the one from the engine to the box, which I have checked.

Its a bit poor in this day an age that they cant make a reliiable oil presure sender. This hardly every happens in cars, and trucks these days, and yet seems to be almost a consumeable if you dont mind burning $200.00 each time.
I guess I will try to fit another T section, with a manual guage on one side, and probably try one replacement sender this one time if I can find one in OZ.

I have about 200nm to go to home, returning from a 5 month cruise, and would realy like to have it working.

Alan & Tania
Screensaver
( 0412274848
"VHF SY235 HF VJN3462
hhttp://screensaver49.spaces.live.com/
Omsn on request

Status
Not open for further replies.