YANKEE SIZE

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CHET P

OK GUYS NOW THAT I HAVE THE NEW FURLER GIVE ME FEEDBACK ON YOUR THOUGHTS ON YANKEE SIZE... AFTER TALKING TO THE OWNER OF BANKS SAILS LAST WEEKEND BEFORE I WENT TO THE BOAT SHOW, HE CONVINCED ME THAT 100% WAS THE MINIMUM I WANTED. AFTER THAT I GOT SOME QUOTES AND THEY RANGED FROM $1500-2100... EVEN THE OFF SHORE PLACES HAVE INCREASED THERE PRICES... LEE WANTS $1850... ROLLY TASKER STILL COMES IN LOW, BUT LIKE ANYTHING ELSE .... DO I REALLY WANT THE LOWEST QUOTE????? YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR DON'T YOU.... LOCAL AND NATIONAL LOFTS COME IN AT $1800-2100... ANY GOOD LEADS TO GET A DEAL??? THANKS AGAIN CHET P HARRIET'S CHARIOT H37C #36

C

CHET P

I'll answer my own question

after talking with several sailkmakers, including the guy from Banks sails in tampa who raced his 37 rather sucessfully i went with a 100%... and after shopping with many sailmakers including rolly and lee i went with JSI, the same people who sold me the harken roller furler... 360 sq ft+/- and i think i am going with 8.3oz rather than 7.3 but haven't made that choice yet.... great price under $1500 including tax... great people at JSI i delt directly with one of the owners. as soon as i can get my stem head fitting off to have a new roller welded on i will install a new stay and the harken system., then measure for the sail ... oh just a FYI gang.... loosen the backstay and check the bolts holding down the stem head fitting both top and down the bow... all mine were loose and one had some corrosion eating thru it. didn't notice it under tension so never thought about it.... later

E

Ed

some thoughts

Chet, Several thoughts-- Dennis at banks really knows the 37c and its sails. and price aint everything-- getting the draft where your want it ect. Is really important.. not that jsi can't just food for thought. as for the weight. Unless your going to abandon the staysail, you need not go to the 8 oz. cloth. Your staysail comes into play when it blows that hard and 95% of the time in fla. you will be in light to moderate winds so the lighter sail makes a lot of sense.. Do you know the square feet of the original yankee? that would be intesting to compare. Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.