Yamaha to edson

Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
I guys, anyone had the same problem as me. Just installed a T9.9 on my 260.
I have an Edson wheel , the fast slow lever worked fine with my Nissan , but on the Yamaha it's reversed, is their a cam or way to fix this on the engine. My dealer thinks not.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The hookup of the 3300 series cables only has one direction either up or down when attached at the pedestal as I installed many over the years as a former dealer. There is no way to reverse that at the pedestal other than relabeling and getting use to it. It would have to be at the motor end for the Yamaha. My suggestion is to call Yamaha technical support direct to see if there is such a way to do that as I found some engine dealers were not up to snuff on items like that.

Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
I have sent a request to Yamaha. They market the T9.9 as a sail drive. My Nissan work fine and I find it hard to believe that nobody else has not run into this given the popularity of the high thrust Yamaha for sailboats . I could get use to it and cover the etched fast/slow. I worry if anybody else is at the helm , a dock collision is in the future. You would think it would just be a cam and then depending on wether you attached to the bottom or the top it either pushed or pulled. This is not rocket science.

Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
Yamaha Canada just informed me that their is no way to convert the engine from a push to pull throttle.
Mercury and Nissan / Tohatsu both work correctly with an Edson binnacle .
If I had known this I never would have purchased a Yamaha. I did lots of research and now one mentioned this and no posts on any forum.
So Yamaha engines are not comparable with Edson systems (90% off all wheel steer sailboats).

May 25, 2004
Hunter 260 Pepin, WI
The throttle for my Mercury was mounted on the starboard side of the helm seat. It was designed to mount facing inboard, not outboard, so mine is backwards as well.

You get used to it.

Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
So nobody else has ran into this issue. I thought the Yamaha T9.9 was a popular choice as an engine.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
We have a t9.9 on our 260 and it works fine with our edson pedestal. Sounds like something isn't hooked up right. Can you take photos of linkage in motor and in pedestal?

Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
We have a t9.9 on our 260 and it works fine with our edson pedestal. Sounds like something isn't hooked up right. Can you take photos of linkage in motor and in pedestal?
Hi from Calgary. I will go out and take some photos. The shift works fine . But the throttle has to push to increase throttle position. Edson only hooks up to the bottom of its arm and is non reversible . The throttle cable is attached to the arm at the bottom of the cam in the T9.9 and seems to be the only way to attach.
To increase the carb you have to push the arm back not forward. Ie it's a push not a pull.
Thanks for the help..

Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
This image might help let me know if it's not clear enough. It looks like it loaded upside down??? When you close the throttle lever the cable pushes the linkage and opens the carb accelerating the outboard.
The line above is the choke.

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Tohatsu builds the small Nissan and Mercury engines. They also built the small mariners. I believe if you will look at past posts, there is some discussion on this. As for the Edson systems, they were built for inboard diesel and atomic engine applications which works well. It wasn't until the late 70's that you started to see small motor hookups to the Edson pedestal steering and some manufacturers worked with that for marketing and Tohatsu did that very well for me.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
When I get to my boat next I will take some pics of the configuration of my throttle cable connection at the motor end. Will likely be a couple of days.

Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
Thanks for your help.
I have the correct remote kit installed but the linkage has changed and no conversion kit is available. Dealer says by a yamaha remote with key and disconnect my Edson controls
I think ill turf the engine first .
Yamaha does not seem interested in this market segment.
Be forewarned The Yam is not the easy option.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
Finally had a chance to get some photos of the remote throttle linkage. Tough to get a clear picture with the carb silencer in place!

2004 9.9 Yamaha ELRC
thanks for the help.
am away for a few days. I showed the picture you sent to my dealer and he said that the new engine is considerably different. I think a linkage could be fabricated to turn the push to pull.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
We used to say, "We can put a man on the moon but we still can't aluminum foil in the microwave." Although neither of those activities is possible now you would think that something could be fashioned to reverse the push/pull direction of the linkage. Wait! I bet Story Musgrave could figure it out! (He was instrumental in repairing the Hubble telescope.)

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
What many of you fail to note, both Yamaha and Honda redesigned their small engines around 2005 and 2006 preventing one from buying just the engine and the attachment kit for those 3300 series cables and opted only for their current remote box cable combo on a couple of smaller engines. This eliminated the way you you could hook up those engins to the Edson Pedestal. In addition they do not include a tiller handle either and what would happen if you needed to steer with that tiller say at low speed coming into the dock with a sharp turn without a motor to rudder connector? This is why I stuck with Tohatsu who made the Nissan and Mercury engines until I retired. They listened and the other two did not. Also Tohatsu is now the oldest motor mfg as I think british seagull may not be around anymore but not sure on that one as OMC went out of business years ago.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
there are ways to fix this but it is very involved....you can build a bellcrank system to hook your edison/teleflex cables to that will reverse the action and then hook your honda/yamaha cables to the engine....but this is a lot of work and parts search.....haven't looked but one may even find an electric solenoid system that will do it but then its not cheap or economical

Jun 4, 2004
NULL NULL Santa Barbara
I used the bell crank concept

I had a 2004 260 (no longer). We had the Yamaha and the Edson pedestal with the same problem you have. We used the bell crank concept below decks to solve the problem. If unfamiliar with that look at google images for bell crank . It worked quite well.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Hi from Calgary. I will go out and take some photos. The shift works fine . But the throttle has to push to increase throttle position. Edson only hooks up to the bottom of its arm and is non reversible . The throttle cable is attached to the arm at the bottom of the cam in the T9.9 and seems to be the only way to attach.
To increase the carb you have to push the arm back not forward. Ie it's a push not a pull.
Thanks for the help..
as with most boat throttles, you should have to push the throttle lever forward to go faster, NOT pull back on it....

forward faster, backward slower.... this is normal. maybe it was wrong with the old motor and you got used to it that way, but that doesnt mean you have to hook it up wrong again....

anything worth doing, is worth doing the right way.... the first time.