Yamaha Outboards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Anyone familiar with the good, bad, &/or ugly of the mid 90's 9.9HP outboards motors?
Thanks.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I have a good bit of time with one that pushes a 27 foot Stiletto Catamaran (about 1600 pounds). Good engine.. It had set up for 7 years since having been run and corrosion blossoms had blocked the cooling passages. Pulled the head and rodded out the passages and it has been doing well for a couple of years now. Electric start works fine and the alternator makes a little power to keep the battery up. Starting trick: there is no choke but there is an accelerator pump in the carb. before starting put it in forward gear and open and close the throttle 3-4 times to squirt some gasoline in the manifold.. then go to neutral and crack the throttle and hit the start button.. fires immediately. The engine (long shaft sail drive model) pushes the boat very well and uses a little less than a half gallon per hour on the average. Nice having the shift and kill and throttle controls all on the engine tiller.

Jun 14, 2011
S2 27 27 Heber Springs AR
I must agree I have a yamaha 1989 9.9 exf starts very every-time has been on three different boats. This motor has a lot of low rpm power the 11inch prop pushes a lot of water and can stress the typical outboard motor mount. I agree that the need to address corrosion issues, the bottom paint can set up some electrical currents that will result in damage to the motor and lower unit.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Ditto here. I have a 15 on my dink and an 8 on a small whaler. They are both the sweetest running outboards I have ever seen. Both are about 4 years old, start on the first pull every time and are remarkably quiet for 2 stroke engines. Love 'em.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Forgot to say I will be using it in freshwater only and it is the 2-stroke version. So I am thinking the corrosion issues should be minimized in fresh water?

Thanks for the information!

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Correct, CB.. but do tilt it clear of the water when ya leave it.. The engine I work with iis the 4 stroke one so my comments are probably not applicable..

Status
Not open for further replies.