Yamaha 35CS - Any information?

Jul 16, 2018
Don't have one yet Still looking Alberta
Hello,
I got to view a Yamaha 35cs and have been trying to find more information about that model but haven't turned up anything online. Does anyone here have any experience with them?

It's a unique layout with a huge cockpit that's split into 2 sections and it has an aft cabin. Looking up the numbers on sailboat data it seems to be a pretty sturdy boat and bluewater capable.

I was hoping someone had some knowledge they could share!
Thanks!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hello Kelsey

I have not been on a Yamaha 35CS.

Looking online there were not many available for sale. Leads me to think they are loved by there owners and are not sold often or there were not many produced.

The images I did see show a fairly typical sloop rigged boat. 35 feet will give a couple and guests adequate space to day sail. If cruising is your passion I would expect ample space for a couple coastal cruising and the gear/ supplies needed.

You need to go aboard and look at the layout and see if it suits your eye. Is there a place to comfortably sit. Is the kitchen/galley arranged to your liking. Is there space for your stuff. Do you like the bed/bunks. Is there privacy and space for folks to gather.

Ask to go for a ride. Do you like the feel of the boat. Do you feel safe on it.

A boat has so many personal subjective considerations that only you can value.

It was built in the 1980’s. It will be like buying a 1980’s car. No dealer support. This is not a problem as a boat is an assembly of parts attached to a hull. You will need to find parts that do the same or similar function even if it is not made by the same company the builder selected. It is likely the part you select will do the job better than the original part. I have found that to be true in refitting my boat built in 1974.

The forum is here to help you along if you choose the Yamaha or any other boat.

Jul 16, 2018
Don't have one yet Still looking Alberta
Thanks for the replies.

We were on a Yamaha 30 and really liked it but it felt a bit tight, so when we saw a 35 for sale we thought that might be a good fit. However it seems quite different from the Y30, 33, and 36. The cockpit has the usual area with foot well and seating, then where the companion way would usually be is a hatch instead and a second cockpit foot well is behind that with more seating around it and the companion way is at the back of that footwell. None of the Yamahas that I've looked into are designed like that. It also has a sort of sugar scoop transom with a folding swim ladder that isn't on any of the other Yamahas I've seen. All in all, it just seems like quite a different take than what they did with their other boats in this size range.

I also find it strange that other than entries on sailboat data sites, there's nothing about it on the internet. Every other boat I've looked into is at least mentioned on a forum somewhere or has old listings up. But the Y35CS only has 1 dead listing with only 1 photo and no details and no forum entries other than someone else asking about this same listing with no responses. That's it. It seems like a bit of a ghost and I wonder how many were built and why there's so little said about them.

I figured if anyone would know anything about them, the Yamaha section here was the best place the try!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Boats are so personal. When I step on to a boat my first reaction to the layout is usually the one that sticks over time. I like it and find it inviting or not.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Do an internet search on "yamaha 35CS images" and you will see plenty.

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
Yamaha produced a number of sailboats in the 25-37' range that were imported into the US and Canada in the late 70's to the mid 80's. They were well built. Perhaps overbuilt. I have 33 that I'm quite fond of.

They no longer provide any support that I'm aware of. If it needs something like an original mast or a boom, you're out of luck. Most everything else can be replaced with common parts.

• Helpful