Yamaha 33 Keel bolts

Rick B

Nov 14, 2008
- - -
Surveyor said today that I should torque my keel bolts in our Yamaha 33 with lead keel. There is no leakage around the bolts and some very minor corrosion (staining) visible on some surfaces of the nuts and backing plates. Surveyor suggested a torque of 80 foot pounds. Had the boat out of the water last December for a re-power and there was no evidence of any problem with the keel/hull joint. No water seepage, rust staining or cracking. I suspect this is really a test for corroded keel bolts being evidenced by a bolt shearing if wasted by corrosion. The keel bolts are 1 inch SS and of course can be torqued much higher than 80 foot pounds but probably the keel stub and sealant would crush a bit if torqued to 250 foot pounds such as for mating two solid metal surfaces hellishly tight.

Has anyone with a Yamaha 33 had a keel bolt problem? Our boat is a 1981 but as I said earlier there is no water leaking into our boat around the keel bolts and the hull/keel joint does not seep water when on the hard. I'm just concerned that if a nut moves it could disrupt the seal as the keel bolt increases compression locally. I assume that if some keel bolts were loose there would be evidence. Just looking for an opinion. Surveyor said it must be done so if I want insurance it must be done. Just nervous about mucking around when there doesn't seem to be a problem.

Also the threads probably have NO anti-seize on them and any torque reading will be in-accurate. The surveyor said that the keel bolts should be re-torqued every five years but I have read on line they should be done annually with the nuts spun off and the threads lubed.

The most comfortable (but expensive solution) would be haul the boat and drop the keel and inspect the bolts. Ours is a lead keel but for perspective I spoke with someone today who knows someone with a Benetau 35 that is having keel bolts replaced right now. They have an iron keel and the interior did not come apart nicely for the repair so the cost is $30,000 CND.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Every time I haul the boat and it's on its keel, I tighten the bolts. They may move only a smidgen, but the idea is to prevent the leaks from starting in the first tplace, not to discover them after they start. Preventive maintenance. Not sure why you'd pay money for a professional surveyor, then not like his determination, then turn to the forum for free advice of questionable knowledge.

Rick B

Nov 14, 2008
- - -
Thanks for your reply. My question is primarily if anyone with a Yamaha 33 has had problems with their keel bolts (other than running aground). The surveyor wants me to torque the bolts with the boat in the water so I'm pretty sure the nuts won't move with 80 foot pounds torque. My view is that if any water is coming in around the keel bolts, the keel needs re-bedding. I suspect that any movement of the nut is due to compression of the keel stub composite material or the bedding compound. Don't see that torqued 1 inch ss rod would have much more elasticity. I'm doubled nutted (at least the keel bolts are!) so any movement for me would be compression..

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
No external cracks and no leaks.. don't mess with the bolts.. 80 ft lbs is not enough to do much with that size bolt anyway..

Rick B

Nov 14, 2008
- - -
Well... No problems with our keel bolts. My brother-in -law has a Mirage 27 that he co-owns with a friend. Last spring they had a shipwright tighten the keel bolts at the shipwright's suggestion before launching (the boat is in Montreal so its out of the water in the winter). Apparently he found some info about torque spec for a Mirage but it was wrong. The washers buckled and a leak developed in the keel area. My brother-in-law is vague about what they did to remedy the situation but I think they did nothing last year as they sail on a shallow part of the St. Lawrence.

Saw the buckled washers myself last May when visiting Montreal and suggested the problem was over-torqued keel bolts and this actually was the problem. I am doing nothing about the keel bolts on our 33 except monitoring them for surface corrosion (there is none).