Yamaha 33 gate valves

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rick

Just bought the boat. Surveyor said the gate valves must be changed to ball valves. Any wisdom on making the job easier? Thoughts on clearance issues? Seems the thu hulls are OK. Bonded the last 27 years. However it seems prudent to change them. I can't remember from the survey and don't have a picture of the bottom but does anyone know if the thru hulls are "flush" (tapered) or standard "mushroom". Someone at a repair yard told me that the "flush" thru hulls available today have a different taper than the "flush" thru hulls of twenty five years ago and that 25-35 hours of fiberglass work would have to be done before new thru hulls could be installed. This seems very expensive. The old gate valves all work smooth and perfectly.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Read...

Read the following pieces for a better understanding into what you may run into.... Seacock & Thru-Hull Primer/Pre Information: http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/seacock_primer and.. Replacing Thru-Hulls and Seacocks http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/replacing_thruhulls And YES the gate valves MUST go !!!!

R

Rick

Still wondering about flush mount thru hulls

Thanks for the info. Appreciate the info about groco handle interchangability. Also the the info about NPT vs tapered thread was good. Thanks for the info! Rick

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
They are...

They are harder to come by and yes the size and shape of a replacement most likely won't be the same as what you have. If you have bronze flush mounts I would try your hardest to salvage them. They will clean up well with a drill and brass brush. If they are acetal (whitish plastic) throw them out..

R

Rick

Bronze thru hulls

Thanks for the reply. The surveyor examined them and stated they are OK. There has been a well maintained bonding system (and no shore power) on the boat these last 27 years. A local yard wants to just cut the thru hulls off no matter what the circumstance. I am going to attempt replacement myself as I normally do work on the boats we have owned myself. The local yard scared me with the possible cost. I have an email to the previous owner about the type of thru hull, but he may be on the road in his new RV as he swallowed the anchor. thanks, Rick

R

Rick

Happy Valves

The gate valves have been changed for ball valves. Almost spun of and quick job. Two big 1 1/4" cockpit drain thru hulls moved when I cranked the gate valves off. Removed and rebedded them. Had the yard guy help and he cleaned up old thru hulls, looked like new! 2 1/2 hours labour much better than the 35 hours I was quoted to remove old, fill with fiberglass, rebore then set new thru hulls. Very happy the job went smooth. Thanks for all the advice! Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.