Yamaha 30 - rudder - drop / inspection / maintenance

Dec 27, 2020
Yamaha 30 - Tall Rig Vancouver
I'm interested to know if anyone has done maintenance on a rudder for a Yamaha 30. I'm planning a haul-out shortly and I'd like to see the condition of the bearings and perhaps eliminate some very minor play. I haven"t been able to find any schematics or description for the rudder version that I have here in Canada.

Any help with this would be much appreciated! If you 've done one before on the Yamaha 30 would be great to get some input on how to drop it once on the hard and what you saw in there for bearings, and ideally where you got new ones.

Cheers!

Peter

Dec 27, 2020
Thank sail sfbay for your suggested reading! I decided to just pull it and see what I found...

For those interested in this topic I thought it might be good to post the solution.

There are various rudder models of the Yamaha 30. Mine was the Canadian tiller model. The description in the Yahama 30 original manual is for a US wheel model (not the rudder model). Because the wheel model requires a quadrant, the shaft appears to be exposed on the inside of the haul relatively close to the hull floor, and nearer the waterline. The schematic shows a stuffing box to keep the water out. Makes sense.

On the Canadian tiller model, its a much simpler and elegant solution. There is a fibreglass shaft tube glassed from the rudder hole under the stern up and inside of the hull that extends up to within 2 inches of the top of the exterior deck - where the tiller attaches. The tube runs so high that seawater can never reach the top. - so its doesn't need a stuffing box. The rudder's shaft installs up through the hole and shaft tube to the top where it is held by a cube shaped clamp that compresses with one bolt. This bolt threads through both the tiller as an attachment and the clamp and together they are compressed by a nut. This all grips to the shaft and it's affixed. Some people might be concerned if, while in the water, they remove the nut to remove the tiller, say to varnish it, the rudder would drop out. They would be right... except that the rudder itself floats and is thus suspended in it's elevated position while in the water. BUT many rudders of various brands of vessels eventually leak with age and fill with water - and don't float. I was shocked to see that this one still floats after 40 years of service. Well done Yamaha!

You can test this while in the water by simply pushing the tiller shaft down about a half inch and watch it float back up. If it doesnt float the clamp is probably resting hard on the stainless steel deck flange, and likely has signs of rubbing and wear on the clamp. No matter, it's probably still working well enough for you. But you want to be sure it still floats if you're removing the tiller while in the water.

Whether it floats or not, if you're out of the water and you remove the bolt it will drop! You need people below to support it.

The upper deck hardware is in fact the rudder shaft upper bearing. You should probably apply marine grease it if you don't see any. Yes it's primitive but most tillers bearings are as I've discovered. This one is good.

The lower bearing, in the tube style rudder, is collar style that rests about 2 inches above the entry hole you would install the rudder. It looks like a can of beer with the top and bottom taken off. It's made of a type of white hard plastic designed for this, is 90mm long and accommodates a shaft 60mm in diameter. When I looked at mine it was in good shape. And a tech confirmed the rudder was straight. Good stuff. I cleaned the shaft with kerosene to clean off all the crud. And re-greased the shaft and bearing with an advanced marine grease provided by the yard. It all went back in with a gentle shimmy and we bolted it back up.

The shaft is really long. You can't drop it enough to remove the rudder while resting on the hard. You will need to get the yard on haul-out to raise it with the keel about 3 feet or so above the hard and you release the rudder from the top and drop it with some people below. They may have to lift it slightly to take the pressure off the top of the clamp. It's not heavy... maybe 60-80lbs so two people below is plenty. You then have to wiggle it out. And of course on the launch they need to raise it above it's resting height on the hard to get the rudder back in. Bolt it up, and then off you go to the launch!

This is not a hard job. It's pretty straight forward. It needs good relations and coordination with the yard and you're good to go. For those doing a quick re-grease or inspection you can probably get away with just dropping the rudder a few feet while on the hard and greasing the shaft surface. In my opinion, I wouldn't panick if you see minor scoring on the shaft where it meets the bearing surface. Marine stuff can get in there although those two donuts between the rudder and the hull do help to prevent that. It's not an engine bearing of fine precision. If you hear noise while at sea or on the hard as you rotate it that would be a different matter. In my case I was happy I did the removal as someone had dropped a small screw and washer into the shaft... and that came out with the rudder. :) My yard didn't charge me for this extra fiddling about.

Overall I'm very impressed with the build of this rudder and shaft. The shaft is beefy, and typical of Yamaha it's overbuilt and ingenious.

The result... well it's smooth as butter. Should be good for another 40 years. :)

All the best!

Peter

Dec 9, 2022
Hunter 326 FYC
I have a Hunter 326 (2003) and I pulled the rudder to get the prop shaft out. I did notice a slight play in the lower part of the shaft with the Plastic bearing. Has anyone taken that bearing out and replaced it? It isn't terribly bad but I figure while I have it out, I'd have a look to see what's involved. Not sure how it's secured, how to get it out and where to get a new one?? Any help is appreciated.
Thx

Dec 9, 2022
Hunter 326 FYC
For clarification I'm speaking of the lower Rudder Bearing not the cutlass for the shaft.......

Dec 27, 2020
I don't have experience with that boat. Before I pulled my boat I did some research to get a sense of possible scenarios I might be looking at once out of the water. I spoke briefly to Jeda Rudder Bearings out of Washington State as they do alternative replacement cartridges for more sophisticated rudder bearings. It might be helpful to chat with them - they'll know your boat. 800-523-7558

My bearing from a 40 year old tiller boat was very simple - just a plastic collar. My boat repair guy in the yard said if it's not making noise that's a great sign, and even though I was fixing this myself I was happy to have him take a quick look at it when it was on the hard to get some solid advice. Mine was making noise so obviously it needed repair.

Dec 9, 2022
Hunter 326 FYC
Got it...thanks for the quick reply. Mine isn't making noise and it is really smooth as silk. I just figured I'd ask. I'll keep that number for future reference.

Dec 27, 2020
Hey Breezy1,

Good to hear its quiet and silky. I think that's really encouraging. That said, please don't take my impressions of what I've heard second hand on my particular boat as advice! :) I do sincerely recommend you get someone in the yard to take a quick look. I would. They won't charge and they've got some real experience - more than me (I've done one boat - lol). The guy at Jedda Rudder was happy to have a quick conversation and he gave me some good advice too.

Wishing you a great start to the season!