Yamaha 30 Holding tank installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 16, 2012
Yamaha 30 Nanaimo
We have a 1981 Yamaha 30 (front engine) with a direct discharge head. It is time to install a system that will meet the new rules here in B.C. I am interested in learning what set up other Yamaha owners are using and any advise they may have on this install.

Cheers, Andrew

Jul 21, 2010
Dufour 365 Granville Isl. Vancouver
Andrew,

We have the same boat and a few years ago put in a Vacuflush system with the holding tank back in the cockpit storage locker. Expensive but works great.

Jul 9, 2004
Yamaha 30 - Sidney
Bought my boat out of Seattle, there was a porta-potti installed. A bit of a pain in some ways, but it does work and is legal. Have you looked into the composting units?

jcm

Feb 11, 2010
Pearson and Yamaha Triton , 25II Juneau
I asked about composting heads on another list that I am on and got this response. This is weekend and short cruise use, not live aboard.

http://www.natureshead.net/I Installed a Nature's Head a few months ago on my bubbletop 34 and I absolutely love it. I used to have to always do maintenance, futz with the flushing, my holding tank overflowed when guests overpumped, and the smell was penetrating all the hoses. Now it's so simple. I was able to vent it easily by cutting the pumpout hose a couple of feet below the outlet on the deck and splice it to the venthose coming from the toilet. On the topside, I simply removed the threaded cap from the pumpout outlet and replaced it with a threaded PVC fitting (exact same thread - I think it was a 1.5 inch NPT) and easily torqued it to seal. Then I added two more elbows to make it an inverted U so water would not enter from the top either. The only other think I had to do was to raise, by an inch and cantilever forward by about 4 or 5 inches the platform where the former head had sat. That gave me perfect positioning. It IS, however a little higher than a normal toilet because of the 1 inch lift and the fact that the new toilet, out of the box is already a little higher than normal. So far, however, no one has had an issue with it and certainly not me.

Aug 3, 2005
- - Seattle
Rex Lowes in Harriot Bay has a '80 Y30 with holding tank. I know because it used to be mine. It actually looks like a factory installation. If you contact him, say hi for me.

Feb 10, 2011
Yamaha 30 T Sidney
We have a 1981 Yamaha 30 (front engine) with a direct discharge head. It is time to install a system that will meet the new rules here in B.C. I am interested in learning what set up other Yamaha owners are using and any advise they may have on this install.

Cheers, Andrew
Andrew.....I have a Yam 30 in Sidney and am wanting to move beyond the direct discharge head. We currently are using a small porta pottie for emergencies. I was hoping that you would post an update as to what you ended up doing.

May 16, 2012
Yamaha 30 Nanaimo
Andrew.....I have a Yam 30 in Sidney and am wanting to move beyond the direct discharge head. We currently are using a small porta pottie for emergencies. I was hoping that you would post an update as to what you ended up doing.
Indecision... My original plan was to remove the vanity and install a holding tank above the head that woud be self draining. We removed everything and I got a tank from Industrial plastics that would fit, but it was only 8 gallons capacity. That seemed too small. Back to the drawing board. This was last April. Then the sun came out in May and we decided to buy a 5 gal porta potti so we could go sailing. The Sealand unit worked well, but the plan is still to install something permanent. My latest design is to put a tank in the hanging locker opposite the head. It would be a pass through set up where everything goes into the tank, with a valve after the tank to go overboard or up to a deck fitting. I'm jealous of KBuckley with his vacuflow system. That is the way to go. We'll see what this season brings. If you end up installing something that works please let me know. I'll do the same.
Cheers, Andrew

Feb 10, 2011
Yamaha 30 T Sidney
Yamaha 30 Holding Tank Installation

Thanks Andrew. I drove to Nanaimo today and looked at a Nature's Head at Harbour Chandler. Apparently they have sold 4 recently, with no unhappy customers so far. The head looks skookum enough and I like the concept of a composting toilet so may consider going that way.

If you (or anyone else on line) have any info about these or have heard any feedback about composting toilets, please let me know.

Feb 10, 2011
Yamaha 30 T Sidney
Rex Lowes in Harriot Bay has a '80 Y30 with holding tank. I know because it used to be mine. It actually looks like a factory installation. If you contact him, say hi for me.
Bob....in your old Yam 30 (the one now in Harriot Bay), where was the holding tank located?

Aug 24, 2012
MacGregor 26M Lake of the Woods ON
Thanks Andrew. I drove to Nanaimo today and looked at a Nature's Head at Harbour Chandler. Apparently they have sold 4 recently, with no unhappy customers so far. The head looks skookum enough and I like the concept of a composting toilet so may consider going that way.

If you (or anyone else on line) have any info about these or have heard any feedback about composting toilets, please let me know.
I too am looking at the NH composting. A fellow in Calgary installed one on his 26M He cut out a portion of the shelf where the OEM porta potty sits to lower it.
Uses the solar powered vent. Install time was minimal. He has used it for one season (one three week stretch with two adults) and was pleased.
Lower right on pic. Due space restrictions, he replaced the spider handle with a 3/4" ratchet handle to turn the compost.
Hugh

Attachments

Feb 10, 2011
Yamaha 30 T Sidney
I have done some preliminary measuring. Installing a NH in a Yam 30 will be a close thing, and I am not certain that it can be accomplished without altering the floor in the head area. A 5 gallon porta pottie may be the easy solution in the short term.....

Aug 30, 2007
Yamaha 30 Vancouver, BC
I have done some preliminary measuring. Installing a NH in a Yam 30 will be a close thing, and I am not certain that it can be accomplished without altering the floor in the head area. A 5 gallon porta pottie may be the easy solution in the short term.....
Just curious if in your measuring you considered the door? The head appears to project out further than the standard factory model and might interfere with the door.

Aug 30, 2007
Yamaha 30 Vancouver, BC
Indecision... My original plan was to remove the vanity and install a holding tank above the head that woud be self draining. We removed everything and I got a tank from Industrial plastics that would fit, but it was only 8 gallons capacity. That seemed too small. Back to the drawing board. This was last April. Then the sun came out in May and we decided to buy a 5 gal porta potti so we could go sailing. The Sealand unit worked well, but the plan is still to install something permanent. My latest design is to put a tank in the hanging locker opposite the head. It would be a pass through set up where everything goes into the tank, with a valve after the tank to go overboard or up to a deck fitting. I'm jealous of KBuckley with his vacuflow system. That is the way to go. We'll see what this season brings. If you end up installing something that works please let me know. I'll do the same.
Cheers, Andrew
Andrew: Because like many others I face the same challenge......I recall being in touch with you 2 o3 or maybe 4 years ago and we are no further!! Excuse my mechanical ignorance in these questions. Would you pump the effluent from the head up to the tank in the locker? In terms of the valve for going overboard, do you figure you can get back the hose back to the current discharge valve?

May 16, 2012
Yamaha 30 Nanaimo
Andrew: Because like many others I face the same challenge......I recall being in touch with you 2 o3 or maybe 4 years ago and we are no further!! Excuse my mechanical ignorance in these questions. Would you pump the effluent from the head up to the tank in the locker? In terms of the valve for going overboard, do you figure you can get back the hose back to the current discharge valve?
Hi John, The head would pump the effluent up to the tank, wherever the tank ends up being located. Here'a a link to a gravity discharge system that would go above the head. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f115/bulkhead-mounted-gravity-holding-tank-77847.html I just couldn't find a big enough tank, and it means losing the sink. The discharge could go to the current through hull or to pump out on deck by using a diverter valve after the holding tank. This summer we'll just be using the porta potti. Let me know how you make out.

Sep 7, 2013
Yamaha 30 Vancouver
On my 30 we have the holding tank installed directly across from the toilet there was a little cupboard a and below that was the holding tank I do think ours was factory installed

Status
Not open for further replies.