Yamaha 26

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnovie

Jan 28, 2009
Yamaha 26 tall rig Marina Village Alameda, CA
I am considering purchasing a Yamaha 26 for day sailing, PHRF racing and shorthanded MORC Racing on San Francisco Bay. I am interested in knowing more about the sailing characteristics of the boat in various wind conditions (and hopefully sea conditions) from someone who has actually owned or sailed on a 26. I know it was a late IOR design but it doesn't seem to be a radical example of that sort of a boat. The boat is very appealing and compelling to me in terms of aesthetics, build quality and condition. I will do a test sail before buying. In addition has anyone had experience with an asymmetrical spinnaker on the 26.

Feb 10, 2009
Yamaha 26 Westport Marina
I am considering purchasing a Yamaha 26 for day sailing, PHRF racing and shorthanded MORC Racing on San Francisco Bay. I am interested in knowing more about the sailing characteristics of the boat in various wind conditions (and hopefully sea conditions) from someone who has actually owned or sailed on a 26. I know it was a late IOR design but it doesn't seem to be a radical example of that sort of a boat. The boat is very appealing and compelling to me in terms of aesthetics, build quality and condition. I will do a test sail before buying. In addition has anyone had experience with an asymmetrical spinnaker on the 26.
We've had our 1981 Yamaha 26' for about 12 years and sailed her in a variety of conditions including some pretty rough weather in the Pacific North West (Canadian Gulf Islands). I can't say that we ever made her do what she was capable of but we always felt very safe on her. As a fair weather sailor, I always looked forward to light winds that allowed us to use her spinnaker (yes asymmetrical), but as soon as the winds and waves picked up too much the spinnaker was a bit of a pain. The previous owner used to race her and from what he said they did fairly well. Overall she has been an easy upkeep boat with no major problems. We'll be hauling her in the next month or so for her regular checkup and cleanup. Can't wait for some sunshine up here so we can take her out.

jnovie

Jan 28, 2009
Yamaha 26 Tall Rig

We've had our 1981 Yamaha 26' for about 12 years and sailed her in a variety of conditions including some pretty rough weather in the Pacific North West (Canadian Gulf Islands). I can't say that we ever made her do what she was capable of but we always felt very safe on her. As a fair weather sailor, I always looked forward to light winds that allowed us to use her spinnaker (yes asymmetrical), but as soon as the winds and waves picked up too much the spinnaker was a bit of a pain. The previous owner used to race her and from what he said they did fairly well. Overall she has been an easy upkeep boat with no major problems. We'll be hauling her in the next month or so for her regular checkup and cleanup. Can't wait for some sunshine up here so we can take her out.
I bought the 1984 Yamaha 26 Tall Rig for sale on San Francisco Bay. I did get a chance to speak with a broker at Specialty Yachts in Vancouver BC. He was around during the days Specialty Yachts were the dealers for Yamaha and owned one for two years and sailed it extensively in the Pacific Northwest in all weather conditions. He felt it was "a phenomenal boat with a wonderful innovative interior and very well made." He also said "just buy it" and further stated "if one for sale in my area it would not last long."

I am interested in getting an asymmetrical spinnaker for my boat. I would appreciate some information regarding the size of your sail, who made it and if you installed a deck mounted sprit pole or simply tack it to a bow fitting. If you are ever in the Bay Area you are welcome to join my wife and I for a sail.

Mar 28, 2009
yamaha 26 vancouver island
Hi:

A miracle just happened; I got a slip at my local marina (I've been on the waiting list forever). I can finally have a boat again. I'm looking at the Yamaha 26 but know nothing about it. Were they cored? Who actually designed them? Do they have any bad habits? Well known problems (blisters)? Many thanks to anyone who replies.

Sean

jnovie

Jan 28, 2009
We just had our Yamaha 26 (tall tig) hauled. No evidence of blisters ever. The deck is cored. No evidence of delamination or eany gelcoat issues. From everyone we have talked to at boat yards and the sailing community in general fit is felt that the Yamaha 26 is extremely well built in all respects. There is a Yamaha 26 for sale in the March issue of Latitude 38.
Jan Novie, Berkeley CA

Status
Not open for further replies.