Yamaha 25 MK2 offshore experience

Mar 23, 2024
J-Boat 24 point richmond
Hello, considering a 25 MK2 for sf bay and coastal cruising and racing. Can any of you share any experience of the limits of the 25? It can get pretty brutal outside the gate, but it does seem like a tough little boat. Probably much better than my current J24! Thanks! Geoff

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
I had an opportunity to buy one, but it did not work out. Yes, it is a strong and heavy boat and if it is on a trailer you need a larger than normal truck to safely tow it. It is not a racer like lightweight J24.
I did end up buying a Hunter 25.5, but over time it was clear that it was too small even for san francisco bay. In the slot with 38knot afternoon breeze a larger boat with more horsepower engine is required. I traded it for C36 MKII with fin keel.
I have sailed many times down to Monterey safely.
If you have been sailing in the Bay already, you will soon be curious as to what else is out there and you will find that a 25 foot sailboat is too risky. Your insurance company may not allow you to go beyond the Gate.
If your finances will support a larger boat with inboard engine go for a minimum of 32 feet.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
We had a 1981 Catalina 25 w/7.5 hp outboard from 1987 to 1998 on SF Bay. Sailed it to HMB and Monterey. More comfortable and safer on our 34 footer inboard when outside The Gate.

Jan 4, 2008
Yamaha Y25 mkII Long Beach, Ca.
Hello, considering a 25 MK2 for sf bay and coastal cruising and racing. Can any of you share any experience of the limits of the 25? It can get pretty brutal outside the gate, but it does seem like a tough little boat. Probably much better than my current J24! Thanks! Geoff
Hello,
Been a while since on the forum. I'm in Long Beach with my boat, so not as heavy air as SF. I singlehand a lot so I am rail down regularly. When I do have crew on the rail she is a different boat. The Y25 is a wet boat , Originally designed as an IOR " Racer / cruiser in the 70s .With the forward mounted inboard diesel (250lbs) she handles waves well. The 25 is built heavy and well respected for their construction.. A world apart from your ULDB J24 . I think of her as a " Cruiser / racer these days.
With my days as a one-design sailor behind me. I find her a comfortable boat below 2O knots. Being in SoCal lighter air I have not played with reefing.
Sailboat Owners is the ONLY place you will find info on the Yamaha 25 . Look in the history of past posts , We have covered a lot of subjects over the years. I am going on year 20 with mine, suits my needs as an old dingy sailor looking for a bit of comfort in a 25 foot boat. For SF Bay I would agree with others go bigger if you can if not the
Y25 is a capable boat.
Happy Hunting!