Yamaha 25 bilge pump / packing

Sep 8, 2021
yamaha 25 mkii tall rig vancouver
hello a couple of questions on the Yamaha 25 II bilge

1. has anyone installed a battery powered bilge pump in the y25, while keeping the manual one in the cockpit?

2. I think my stuffing needs replacement (bilge filling up after 2 weeks of being idle). Is it possible to replace in the water?

thanks!

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
2. I think my stuffing needs replacement (bilge filling up after 2 weeks of being idle). Is it possible to replace in the water?
Can you see the stuffing box to confirm drops are coming from there and not some other source?

It generally is possible to change packing in the water, though it wouldn’t really be my choice for a first attempt.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I pack my stuffing box in the water as I don't want to pay for being on the hard for a job I can do in the water.

If you are experienced with packing a gland, here is how I keep the sea water where it should be while taking my time to do it right :

1724023893611.jpeg

This is part of a piece I wrote on how to run a gland without any leakage. The gland also runs cold.

Jan 4, 2008
Yamaha Y25 mkII Long Beach, Ca.
I have been very fortunate to have a very dry bilge. the only time I did have water turned out to be from the fresh water tank. a small weep at the front . Easy to verify with a taste test !

Sep 8, 2021
@Syntonos
thanks for the tip

Is this the standard box below in the photo?

I am thinking I should be tightening the nuts closest to the collar (or loosening them to replace the packing). But I don’t understand what the bolt heads are for (red arrows).

Ignore the corrosion! I’ll take a wire brush to my stuffing box later

Thanks!

ps @furdui, cc-ing if you recall the stuffing box on the Y25?

Attachments

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021
Managed to install a Rule mate 500 in the Yamaha 25-II - fits in the first compartment of the bilge closest to the engine. Routed a 3/4 hose to a tee connected to the manual bilge drain behind the companionway entrance (keeping the manual pump on its own 1 inch line). Wiring for the pump - there’s a gap between the floor and bilge area that allows routing to the battery away from the water (about 3 feet distance).

Attachments

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
am thinking I should be tightening the nuts closest to the collar (or loosening them to replace the packing). But I don’t understand what the bolt heads are for (red arrows).
The red bolts allow you to move the collar right out of the way when repacking and the nuts are for adjusting the pressure on the packing. From the picture I would say you could get two rings of packing added. The leaking will not increase significantly while you add packing without removing the existing packing. This style of packing gland is much more common in industrial settings than marine.