Yacht Registration

Guess

Feb 26, 2015
Hunter 35.5 Moalboal
Hello,
I'm new to sailing and have a few questions concerning registration. I'm a US citizen retired in the Philippines and considering the purchase of a locally owned Hunter Legend 35.5. The boat is currently registered in Australia and listed here in the Philippines as a "visiting yacht". I can't keep the Australian registration since I'm not a citizen of Australia, and I would prefer to register it in the US if for no other reason than sentiment. I never plan to take her to the US, and will spend 99% of my time in Philippine waters, with the occasional trip to other nearby countries. The gentleman who owns here says I can sail here indefinitely as a visiting yacht with no additional paperwork, but I know there will be a problem when I visit other places. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Rich

Oct 3, 2008
Beneteau 393 Chesapeake Bay
Every country has its own rules. In the US, not all states have the same rules either. My recommendation is to register it in the Philippines. It has nothing to do with your citizenship, and more to do with where the boat will be primarily berthed and sailed.

Guess

Feb 26, 2015
Hunter 35.5 Moalboal
Appreciate the reply. I checked here with the Philippine government and I can't register a boat being a foreigner. If I was married to a Filipina then we could register it in her name.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
why not register it with the US coast guard and if you ever bring it to the US register in the state you plan to live in at that time...do you still have any kind of US address..

Guess

Feb 26, 2015
Hunter 35.5 Moalboal
That sounds good to me. I have a brother in Houston and one in Florida. Guess I could use one of their addresses. Is all the info on the USCG website?

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
That sounds good to me. I have a brother in Houston and one in Florida. Guess I could use one of their addresses. Is all the info on the USCG website?
yes its all there it may take a while for them to process it ( not sure how much history of the boat they will have to have) but they will get it done and i think now you have a $26.00 annual fee to keep it registered....use you brothers address and have him mail you the paperwork or it may come online so you can print it out where you are...i am sure some one on here will shed more light on this

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Good luck with the Coasties.. They probably want a certificate of origin. I bought my B323 new and just let the dealer handle documentation. Easy, that way.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Since you are going to keep the boat in a foreign country and are going perhaps to be sailing to other foreign destinations I would recommend you register the boat with the USCG. The requirements are basic, US Citizenship, Proof of ownership, payment of fees. This registration entitles your boat to protection under US Maritime Treaties which perhaps will be most valuable in Philippine territorial waters where it will spend most of its time. There are no outside markings or numbers to be shown other than the boat's name and hailing port. Check with Philippines law about markings to be displayed by visiting vessels. Do an online check with the USCG and you will find the process and the forms to be completed.

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
Ignorance alert! (on my part)

So, since this boat is considered a visitor to the PI will there be any kind of import/export issues involved?
What a confusing, convoluted world we live in.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
If your vessel is not already a documented vessel you may not be able to do so. I believe you must show clear title for the vessel's complete history, often requiring notarized letters from ALL former owners.
Perhaps you could get up to the Marshall Islands as that seems to be the new flag of convenience for American owners.
There are several countries that allow non-citizen owners, such as Panama, Liberia, Monrovia and some of the Caribbean islands are doing yacht registration as well.

Guess

Feb 26, 2015
Hunter 35.5 Moalboal
Thank you. I'll see how much paperwork comes with the boat, and if it's enough I'll try the USCG route, if not...