Y30 Settee Problem

gouldx

Nov 16, 2022
Yamaha 30 Scappoose
Hi all.

I’m trying to solve an issue with the settees on my 81 Y30. Basically, the fabric support beneath the cushions won’t hold itself under weight and pulls out of the track at the point where the edge of the fabric is inserted. I’ll post a picture later when I can get one, but does this sound familiar to anyone? Any solutions?

Thanks!
Collin

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
Looks like you need to sew in a bigger boltrope or close the gap in the track,

gouldx

Nov 16, 2022
Yamaha 30 Scappoose
That looks like a feeder opening for a bolt rope.
Yeah, that’s where it feeds in. Unfortunately, that’s also where it pops out when someone sits down. The rail on the back side has a metal clamping bracket bolted in that holds the cloth in place, but the front side does not. I’ve thought about trying to drill some holes and make a bracket for the front, side, but thought I’d see if anyone had experienced this issue and come up with a simpler solution first.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Just tossing out ideas, because I'm not a Yamaha owner, but I love finding solutions to unusual problems. To make a gate (just like you would for the mainsail track) seems logical, It could be as simple as drilling some small holes so you could "lace" the opening closed with some strong sail repair thread. Or perhaps fabricate a small strip of metal, maybe cut a piece off an aluminum can and use some small self tapping screws to hold it in place.

gouldx

Nov 16, 2022
Yamaha 30 Scappoose
Good ideas, Joe. The picture here shows how the canvas is clamped into place on the back side of the cushions. I’m thinking I could make something similar for the front side without too much difficulty. Makes me wonder why it wasn’t designed that way in the first place.
IMG_7987.jpeg