Y26 - couple of questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Salter

Thinking of buying a 1984 Y26 - have a couple of questions: 1. Anyone have any issues with the cast iron keels that were on a couple of Yamaha models? 2. Is it normal for a 1 cylinder Yanmar diesel engine to "thump" ? I know of no other way to describe it. 3. Is the top of the mast supposed to be raked slightly with backstay tension released? 4. Any know issues with this model Boat looks to be in excellant shape - no rust stains, no stress cracks, no rust on the keel bolts, ect. Some misc parts missing or need replacement - nothing major. To my eye this is a well made boat - using well made quality hardware. Beautiful also! Thanks Mike

S

socal lyn

just do it you won't regret it

Yamaha builds quality boats regardless of the size. looks like the y26 has a more conventional engine configuration over the Y25. Check out Bobs web-sight yamahasailboats.org he has an 86 brochure posted with some specs. A small Diesel is a noisy engine and that translates through the hull in different ways. Check the motor mounts and have someone familiar with your engine take a listen to tell if its similar to others. I discribe my engine as "clacky" think of the old film African Queen. Mast rake is a function of rig tune,Mast bend is a result of backstay tension / rig tune.This varies from boat to boat and sails used as to how you set up your boat. I prefer to release the rig tension/mast bend with the backstay to take the loads off of the hull/rig when not sailing- give the boat a rest. There are Volumes of books on the subject-check out some smaller One-design dingy sailing sites they quite often have tuning guides posted that explain the functions. If your comfortable with the condition I think you'll be pleased with the boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.