Y25 Weather helm !

furdui

Jun 4, 2011
Yamaha 25 MkII Sugar Bay Lake Macquarie
Hi everybody,
Something I wanted to do,for at least ten years,was moving main sheet system,track and traveller and point of attachment on the boom,forward,next to the locker,because while single handed I got sick of jumping the track and crossing my hands operating the tiller and main sheet.
Now the cockpit seems as big as a ballroom! and is always clear which hand handles the tiller and which the main sheet!?!.It feels a little bit crowded on top of front locker with main sheet,two jib sheets and two traveler adjusting ropes,but I'll get used with it,and I am thinking to add an extra loop in the main sheet if it is to hard to adjust the main in heavy weather.
But the big surprise is almost ZERO weather helm in about 14 knots breeze !!!!!and consequently the boat feels faster.I still have to see its behavior in heavy weather,but so far so ... excellent.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2008
Yamaha Y25 mkII Long Beach, Ca.
Very clean! just what I need, another project! Keep us up to date on boom stresses . That is the only reason I can see why they placed the traveler where it is, utilizing main sheet to control load. I too use a snap shackle on the main sheet to clear the companion way when not sailing. I attach it to either toe rail.

furdui

Jun 4, 2011
Very clean! just what I need, another project! Keep us up to date on boom stresses . That is the only reason I can see why they placed the traveler where it is, utilizing main sheet to control load. I too use a snap shackle on the main sheet to clear the companion way when not sailing. I attach it to either toe rail.
Hi Syntonos,
New 6:1 mainsheet setting, I'm yet to buy a double block to replace the two separate ones. It is easier to pull the rope, sheet hauling speed acceptable.
Using Harken formula, in this setting the load in mainsheet system increases with approx. 28%(the boat was design for offshore racing,in comparison with a safety factor of about 5, this is not a big deal).The load, through traveler, track is transferred to attaching point to the cockpit, the weakest point, in my opinion, but with proper backplates underneath I think it is OK.
Would you please check the sheave you replaced on mast top to see if it can accommodate a 8 mm(5/16) halyard?Thanks.

Attachments

Jan 4, 2008
Always a pleasure talking Furdui, I'm using 3/8 (10mm) Yale maxbraid for halyards. 5/16 will be no problem. Regarding the boom stress, if your boom is the same extrusion as mine, I'm thinking my boom to be the weak link before any fastener failure. I don't anticipate any problems with either rig.

furdui

Jun 4, 2011
Always a pleasure talking Furdui, I'm using 3/8 (10mm) Yale maxbraid for halyards. 5/16 will be no problem.
Just to make sure we are talking about same sheave, the old one, mine is still in top of the mast, is not in a best condition but still turning and I intend to leave it there changing only the wire rope with Spectra 8 mm rope.Does it(the sheave) have the same groove like the new one you've installed?
NB: I do not agree with you about the strength of the boom, mine is very strong,it did hit me over the head couple of times and it is still intact !

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2008
I too have knocked the noggin a few times and would have to agree...... that's why I stuck on a boom kicker and raised the foot when I got the new sails, I'm getting to old and slow to duck with each tack!
Cheers

furdui

Jun 4, 2011
Always a pleasure talking Furdui, I'm using 3/8 (10mm) Yale maxbraid for halyards. 5/16 will be no problem.
Hi Syntonos,
I'll try once more,
if you still have the OLD sheave from the mast top, or if you remember, does the new sheave you installed on mast top has the same groove size with the old one? I will like to know if the OLD has the groove big enough to accommodate a 8 mm Vectra rope
Thanks

Jan 4, 2008
Ok got ya, YES. Your 8mm halyard should fit. My boat had 3/8 (10mm) rope halyards when I bought it. Keep in mind it does have to make tight 180 degree turn over the stock sheave (1 3/8 dia), that was the one that froze up.
Y25 standard wire sheave layout.JPG the stuck sheave.JPG

Attachments

C

cellesailor

2016-06-26 13.41.32_1.jpg
2016-07-03 14.15.07.jpg
Hello Furdui and Syntonos, I am really glad to find your posts dating from april 2016! I have bought an old Y25 MKII a month ago because I fell in love with its shapes and its design philosophy and build quality (I have a Beneteau First 210 that I will sell - wonderful boat but not nearly as nice to spend a day in as the Y25) , and I am trying to get all informations I can find to restore it as possible.

I did notice the very strong weather helm that must come (I believe) from the hull shape (determined by the old IOR rating rules). So any way of reducing that a bit would be welcome - if repositioning the traveller helps, I might consider doing it. But don't you mess up the companionway? I have my kids on board... ;-)

The electrical system on mine is completely destroyed - the only two wires still attached to the litlle command deck (in the cockpit) are those to start the YSB8, all others are detached! Do you have, by any chance, a diagram for the wiring?

I enclose a picture or two and a link to a video (
) of a couple of days ago (it is a family video, a bit boring for outsiders, sorry). If you see any big mistake in the rigging or other, please let me know!
Thank you.

Attachments

Jan 4, 2008
Welcome aboard ! Your boat looks great. Check out the earlier posts as we have covered a lot of issues over the last few years. FYI, this is your best source for your Yamaha we have dialog from around the globe. I believe one lists a link for a PDF manual in English. I do have a printed copy in English as well as an obsolete parts list in Japanese that helps with assembly questions, it does include wire diagrams as well as rig tune that should get you on the right track. Weight distribution affects he boat quite a bit. I sit outside against the lifelines with tiller extension. That also makes the cockpit seem much larger. Back in the day of 1/4 ton IOR the Y25 was labeled a "racer/cruiser". Today I think of it as a Cruiser / racer due to the accommodation layout below deck. It looks like you have that part figured out from the looks of the great family time in your video. Racing is not everything !
IMG_20160720_211150039.jpg

I'll dig out the books and get some info posted
Stay tuned,cheers

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2008
DSCF2659.JPG DSCF2655.JPG DSCF2656.JPG DSCF2657.JPG
Here you go! Straight from Yamaha.... if you'd like the complete copy contact me in private messages.
Cheers
Syntonos

Jul 26, 2016
Yamaha 25 mkii Lausanne
Syntonos, thank you so much! This will be helpful. Yes, I have read the post about weight dirstribution giving weather helm - too much weight on the bow - but with anchor, chain, and the engine at the bow, I guess whatever is "mobile" will not make too much of a difference... will try find out
Aynway, it is great that the Y25 is "kept alive" so nicely but you and the forum. Gives me such a warm feeling after friends told me I was crazy to buy a boat that old ;-)

Jan 4, 2008
My pleasure, As I had mentioned, you now have a world class boat, I too was thrilled to find all our fellow Yamaha fans through out our world. I'll be hauling out in a few weeks. I always receive compliments on how stiff the "old " Yamaha is compared to boats of lesser years. Keep in mind the boat was designed with the forward ballast in mind. One theory was that it was a trick to evade IOR rules. With the crew weight aft it would increase waterline. I see your in Switzerland, A neighbor has a home in Geneva and is bugging me to visit..... keep in touch perhaps, we'll go for a sail some day!
Cheers

Last edited: