Y25-II, Ullman sails

Jan 4, 2008
Yamaha Y25 mkII Long Beach, Ca.
First look at my new Ullmans,
Main -Navigator Dacron
Headsail -115% tri-axis laminate construction

Spinnaker- ebay special, North asymmetrical with "interesting" color scheme. The blue stripe sealed the deal as the #'s I needed were there and the chute is like new at 1/3 the cost. As it was local it was a no brainer to run it up the rig. And that is how Syntonos ended up with a pink chute.

First Impressions:
Reducing sail size was the correct thing to do. The sail plan is straight out of the Yamaha manual with Ullman cuts.The boat now feels right and performs well with present rig tune.
The previous sail plan was a log leech main (IOR era) encroaching on the cockpit. and the 135% deck sweeper genoa. the boat was always overpowered. Now the boat is quick to accelerate, points well and performs like I knew she can.
A classic example of less is more.
Cheers, Happy Sailing

Attachments

jnovie

Jan 28, 2009
Yamaha 26 tall rig Marina Village Alameda, CA
Main -Navigator Dacron

Spinnaker- ebay special, North asymmetrical with "interesting" color scheme. The blue stripe sealed the deal as the #'s I needed were there and the chute is like new at 1/3 the cost. As it was local it was a no brainer to run it up the rig. And that is how Syntonos ended up with a pink chute.

First Impressions:
Reducing sail size was the correct thing to do. The sail plan is straight out of the Yamaha manual with Ullman cuts.The boat now feels right and performs well with present rig tune.
The previous sail plan was a log leech main (IOR era) encroaching on the cockpit. and the 135% deck sweeper genoa. the boat was always overpowered. Now the boat is quick to accelerate, points well and performs like I knew she can.
Cheers, Happy Sailing

All of your sails look great!
I presently have a large roach / full batten main. I will opt for a main sail similar to yours when the time comes. I'm certain you are enjoying your fine looking asymmetrical spinnaker. I actually like the color combo. I would like to hear more about your experiences with this sail after you have had a chance to sail with it in different wind range, wind point and sea conditions.

Jul 17, 2012
Yamaha Yamaha 25 MkII Annapolis
Y25-II Asymm Spin

Main -Navigator Dacron

First Impressions:
Cheers, Happy Sailing
Hi Syntonos,

I've been meaning to acquire a used asymmetrical cruising spinnaker, or an EBay special like yours. I need an idea on specs/dimensions for the chute, though. What were the epcs on your asymm? Also, I can't recall if you moutned your tack on a retractable pole or if you used a gadget attached to the forestay.

Best,
Adrian
Ferry Point Marina
Arnold, MD

Jan 4, 2008
Hello jnovie, alturaam,
I have North running the #'s to get more information on the chute. They # their sails ( simple pen writing in the North emblem) to get what the chute was originally made for. North has a sail chart showing effective points of sail. My Initial thoughts are it's an A-2/4. The North rep said it looks like a cruising cut. I'll post another response once I have all the #'s.

I'm using my retractable Bowsprit right now. jnovie and I had a previous discussion on this in an earlier post. The short hoist allows the sail to project away from the forestay. As I can raise or lower the sail tack, I can play with it. My initial thoughts are lower is better as our IOR heritage, with the down wind rolly-poley tendencies, a lower center of effort is better.

I agree jnovie the colors work. If ya can't deal with pink...... call it magenta! There is a narrow red sheer stripe below the broader blue that helps to tie it all together.

Cheers All, stay tuned
syntonos

Attachments

Jul 17, 2012
Hi Syntonos (Lyn),

Some quick questions on your asym and symmentrical (if you're using one):

1) Do you fly your symmetrical chute and if so, where do you launch it from? Turtle on the bow, the companionway?

2) Do you fly your chute solo/singlehanded? If so are you using an autotiller? Or a poor man's tiller tamer, like mine?

3) Your boat had an add-on bowsprit for an assym chute, if I recall right. Do you fly your assym solo? Where do you launch from and do you douse into the companionway or into the hatch upfront?

Thanks. Hope you're having a good season,

Adrian
Adventure Time

Main -Navigator Dacron

First Impressions:
Cheers, Happy Sailing

Jan 4, 2008
Timely Post Adrian, I haven't been to the forum in a while. Let me see if I can answer your question in order.

1) Don't fly the symmetrical often -asymmetrical has me spoiled for ease of handling. If I'm going a long way and sailing DDW I'll dig out the symmetrical. I Launch/retrieve down the companion way-with main blocking the chute while I douse.

2) I'd Only fly the asymmetrical solo if the conditions were just right, light air. The tenderness of the boat can make it a handful real quick. I have a Autohelm 3000 I use regularly as well as jury rigging a tiller tender when the autohelm gets over powered.

3) I've found a crew of 3 works best to cover all the sail handling in a efficient manner. I use a homemade retractable bowsprit to get the sail away from the forestay. The asymmetrical sail is not a full hoist. This allows me to raise the tack for cruising visibility. I'll post the sail dimensions next week.

The new sails work so well in a reasonable breeze that the chute is an option I use if I'm looking for the "wow" factor or tired of drifting in a non existent breeze

As far as this season went check out the "that's not good" thread My adventure is also posted on you tube - channel Syntonos "halyard failure" ...... learn from my experience it's cheaper.

Cheers -good to hear from you.

Attachments

Jul 17, 2012
Hi Lyn,

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks very much for your advice/views on symmetrical and assymetrical chutes. I have flown the symmetrical chute on my boat only one, with the skipper of my race crew on J22s, and there were 2 of us, in light air. I have been meaning to fly my symmetrical chute solo, but feel I need to get an auto helm to do it.

As for a cruising/asymmetrical chute, I think I should have a furled jib to do it, which is one of my to-dos for next season.

One thing I did do this season, is get a new, loose footed main. I also followed your lead and installed a Boomkicker the previous weekend. I had to saw off about 2 3/4" off of it, and may saw off another inch. Lots of tension on the main sheet when fully sheeted, so much so that the traveler does not want to move unless I ease the mainsheet.

cheers,

Adrian

Timely Post Adrian, I haven't been to the forum in a while. Let me see if I can answer your question in order.

1) Don't fly the symmetrical often -asymmetrical has me spoiled for ease of handling. If I'm going a long way and sailing DDW I'll dig out the symmetrical. I Launch/retrieve down the companion way-with main blocking the chute while I douse.

2) I'd Only fly the asymmetrical solo if the conditions were just right, light air. The tenderness of the boat can make it a handful real quick. I have a Autohelm 3000 I use regularly as well as jury rigging a tiller tender when the autohelm gets over powered.

3) I've found a crew of 3 works best to cover all the sail handling in a efficient manner. I use a homemade retractable bowsprit to get the sail away from the forestay. The asymmetrical sail is not a full hoist. This allows me to raise the tack for cruising visibility. I'll post the sail dimensions next week.

The new sails work so well in a reasonable breeze that the chute is an option I use if I'm looking for the "wow" factor or tired of drifting in a non existent breeze

As far as this season went check out the "that's not good" thread My adventure is also posted on you tube - channel Syntonos "halyard failure" ...... learn from my experience it's cheaper.

Cheers -good to hear from you.

Jan 4, 2008
Boom Kicker ,Single handed chute work

It will take a while to dial in your boom kicker. My first installed rods were 27" long. With the new sails I moved a lot of hardware and was able to leave the rods the standard length.
Be careful and make your crew aware of hanging on the boom with the sails down without the boom end supported by backstay or main Halyard. I've had a # of close calls with crew putting weight on it for support and have it go away

You can use a tag line to drop your headsail on the deck . Just run a line from the head of your Jib down to a turning block and back to the cockpit. That will help with short handed chute work. Keep aware that an auto helm can only do so much and the boat needs to be steered when rounded down. A pole complicates things greatly in a bad situation, especially when single handing on our less than friendly foredeck. An asymmetrical can be flagged/doused much more easily than your symmetrical with a pole.

mast up-centerboard down
Lyn

Jul 17, 2012
Re: Boom Kicker ,Single handed chute work

I will have to saw off some more of those rods. I got the K-0750, I think, must have been the same as yours. The max amount that can be sawed off is 5" so I have room for adjustment.

Thanks for the tip for dropping the jib from the rear using another line on the head and a turning block. Iv'e read plenty of books on solo sailing and hadn't seen it. That is brilliant.

I'll wait for your dimensions on your assym before going out and geeting one from the used sail loft in our area.

cheers,
Adrian

Jan 4, 2008
Yamaha 25II Chute size

OK, finally found my tape measure to get you some dimensions

LUFF ---- 30' 6"
LEECH -- 28' 6"
FOOT --- 17' 0"

North Cruising asymmetrical

Attachments

Jul 17, 2012
Re: Yamaha 25II Chute size

Outstanding Syntonos, those specs are like gold. I can now look online for a used asymm chute. I'll start with Bacon's in Annapolis my local used sail consignment shop. Thanks mucho

Jan 4, 2008
All chutes are not created equal

Keep in mind the #'s will get you in the ball park , But you will want to pay close attention to the cut. Attached are pics of my old and new chute. The older one was more of a genaker. Similar sizes but completely different cuts. Do your home work on the various websites to learn about cuts.

Happy Hunting
Syntonos

Attachments

Jul 17, 2012
Wires to Propeller Shaft

Keep in mind the #'s will get you in the ball park , But you will want to pay close attention to the cut. Attached are pics of my old and new chute. The older one was more of a genaker. Similar sizes but completely different cuts. Do your home work on the various websites to learn about cuts.

Happy Hunting
Syntonos
Hi Lynn,

I've got a non-chute related question. There are two wires attached to the drive shaft near the shaft seal. One of these came off as I was pumping out my bilge. I will re-attach them but I don't know what they are for other than I assume they are aground of some sort. Am I right here? My motor start up and goes forward and reverse just find despite the unattached wire.

Thanks,

Adrian

Jan 4, 2008
electrolysis bonding

Hey Adrian,
I'd post your question over in the "all discussion" as I'm sure there are those more knowledgeable than me on this subject.
Your previous owner was probably connecting all your thru-hull and metal components with electrical wire to reduce electrolysis. There are lots of thoughts on this, the blogs are endless. On my boat I use a zinc disc attached to the prop strut and a shaft zinc on the prop shaft. In my marina this seems to be adequate.

Happy Sailing
Syntonos