Y25 II Traveller car replacement

Sep 8, 2021
yamaha 25 mkii tall rig vancouver
Hello, has anyone replaced the traveller car on their y25 II keeping the existing track and blocks? Looking for instructions on removal and a replacement that could work.

thanks!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Why don't you post a picture of the track? That's the only thing that will limit the brand of traveler you want. For instance, Harken uses a proprietary design track.. So if you have the harken track, you're stuck with their stuff. Most companies, like Lewmar, schaeffer, Ronstan. Garhauer, etc. use standard "T" track. But I think there's one or two Euro makes that use proprietary track. Go to the various supplier websites like west marine, that sell a number of manufacturer's and you can tell right away.

Sep 8, 2021
yamaha 25 mkii tall rig vancouver
I haven't yet got a photo of the track. But I have been puzzling over the screws on the deck. At first I put down the stubbornness of removing screws without stripping the heads, to being seized. But after finally getting one M5 screw off the deck, and trying a replacement with those the PO had bought, I puzzled over what type of screw I had. The PO had bought locknuts for M5 screws, but they wouldn't fit the one i removed. Turns out the pitch on the Yamaha M5 screws is 0.9, whereas the current standard is 0.8. That led to more research – finally discovering they are pre-1980 JIS screws – which also reveals that while they look Philips heads but aren't, hence the ease which they can strip.

Anwyay, I am replacing several screws for some hardware changes. Is it better to epoxy and re-drill the holes, or will Acetone + 3M 4200 suffice to put new screws new back into the deck? I can't tell if the these old Yamaha 25s have a plywood layer sandwiched, needing a larger hole, and epoxy.