Y 37 aft cabin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 8, 2012
Yamaha 36 Seattle
Does anyone have a Y-37 aft cabin arrangment or pictures? I'd like to consider changing the aft cabin in my Y-36 around, and looking for ideas.

Mar 12, 2012
Yamaha 36 Baltimore
Hi Rising Sun
I just bought an Y36 project boat and was thinking the same thing.
I was wondering about the aft port side "Japanese bath" sink... it is very charming, but does it ever get used in practice?

Feb 8, 2012
Yamaha 36 Seattle
Hi noahdan,

Congratulations on the new boat! Was this Orient Express? The aft cabin on the Y-36 is great. This was one of the first designs for a full double aft berth in that era of boat. I am still amazed at how much room there is in the boat (of that era) that still performs well.

We have cruised the boat quiet a bit with two couples, finding it very comfortable. My wife and I usually take the aft cabin, leaving the v-berth to the guests, and since we had lived aboard for a couple years, using the v-berth for stroage, and sleeping aft, we have always found it very comfortable. To answer your question, no, we don't typically use the sink and vanity back aft, but instead use the space for extra storage on longer trips.

Look forward to hearing more about your boat.

RS

Mar 12, 2012
Yamaha 36 Baltimore
Hi RS,
Yes indeed it is the Orient Express, and it needs a lot of work. I 'm planing to use it more as a cruiser.
One thing that I was thinking about doing was to remove the cockpit drain, cutting off the bulge and the column, replacing the drain with a second 2" drain in the aft of the cockpit, I think that can create a much roomier cabin.

Another question, do you have any recommendation for a dinghy?

Thanks
--Noah
I'll check the forum more often...

Jun 20, 2009
Yamaha 25, 33, 37 San Diego
I have a Y37

Does anyone have a Y-37 aft cabin arrangment or pictures? I'd like to consider changing the aft cabin in my Y-36 around, and looking for ideas.
Ahoy:

I have a 1985 Y37 set up with a cruising interior. The aft berth does not have a sink, it has a wide open berth which is less claustrophobic. Take a look at the photo album, and let me know if you'd like any specific details photographed, i can email you these.

My previous Y33 had the same aft berth setup, only it had a modesty screen behind the nav station seat we could slide and clip to provide privacy.

Enjoy the boat.

Regards,

Ed Serra
Sarah V
Yamaha 37

Feb 8, 2012
Yamaha 36 Seattle
Hi Noah,

The age old dingy question is almost a religious one. Everyone has their opinion, and each one swears it's the only way.

I can tell you what I have now, after many years of many types. I have a fairly inexpensive 11' PVC inflatable, with high pressure floor. Bought it new online for $430. I have an 8 hp Johnson on the back. For me, this works well, as it is very light and easy to get on deck and deflate/inflate (thanks to the HP floor) in the car, basement etc. The outboard is small enough to get on the stern rail of the big boat, yet large enough to get my wife, daughter and I up on a plane (barley). The key to the cheaper PVC built inflatables, is to stow them out of the sun in the off season or if you are not going to use it for more than two months or so. I supose they don't last long in the Bahama's, down island, Mexico etc, but I'm not down there anymore.

There are many words written on the merrits of the better hypolon material that last much longer, howver you pay more for these boats, both new and used. So, i've taken that tack that I'll keep mine in good condition (out of the sun) for as long as it lasts. If I get 6 year out of it, I'll have gotten my $70/year's worth.

Over many years, I've had ranger minto, 9' boston whaler, metzler, 10' West Marine PVC "Zodiac" (alum floor boards, pain in the neck), 13' hypolon Zodiac (wood floor boards, pain in the neck, TRIED once to take them out)

I'm on year 3 with the PVC inflateable, and love the high pressure floor.

My humble opinion......

Graeme

Mar 12, 2012
Yamaha 36 Baltimore
Thanks Graeme,
This is an helpful view. Do you stow the that 11' rolled up in the boat, or is that's too large to stow on board?

Feb 8, 2012
Yamaha 36 Seattle
It fits nicely on deck with a cover on it, to protect from UV, it also fits down the forward hatch (which is quite large) for longer periods.

I've been brining it home over the winters, easy to fit in the suv, and storing in the basment.

Aug 3, 2005
- - Seattle
There is a 37 with a center cockpit, which implies an aft cabin. It lives south of San Francisco, San Luis Obispo I think. I haven't seen the boat, although I came close one year when I was in the Bay area. On the outside, it doesn't look like any of the other 37's.

Sep 24, 2012
Yamaha 37CK Bowen Qld Australia
Re Yamaha 37 aft cabin

I have Owned a Yamaha 37 CK for many years. It is a centre cockpit ketch and have only seen 2 similar (only on the Internet) , the one in San Diego area and one that was listed for sale in Japan. Mine was sailed to Australia by a Japanese couple. I understand this model probably was only built for the Japanese domestic market.
I have never been successful in making contact with any other owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.