Y-33 Midstay

Jan 3, 2023
Yamaha 33 Cleveland
Happy new year! We are the new owners of a 1981 33 in Cleveland Ohio. The rig is currently up but the midstay is missing. Is this somthing that is optional? Also, it has been modified to be on a track. Thank you

Attachments

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
Welcome to SBO!

You didn't mention whether you have the tall rig or not. It may make a difference. Looking at your chainplates and shrouds, it could be a tall rig.

When we re-rigged, I asked about rigging the the babystay to be removable. He said 2 things - first the babystay is needed to keep the mast from pumping. The Y33 has a bendy mast and the babystay is not optional. The second thng he said was that we could rig it to be removeable for downwind work, but forgetting to set it again when upwind was risky. I ended up leaving it. My observation is that the babystay is needed to counteract the forces of the aft lower shrouds.

I have no clue as to how that track might be used.

-Mike

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2023
Yamaha 33 Cleveland
Welcome to SBO!

You didn't mention whether you have the tall rig or not. It may make a difference. Looking at your chainplates and shrouds, it could be a tall rig.

When we re-rigged, I asked about rigging the the babystay to be removable. He said 2 things - first the babystay is needed to keep the mast from pumping. The Y33 has a bendy mast and the babystay is not optional. The second thng he said was that we could rig it to be removeable for downwind work, but forgetting to set it again when upwind was risky. I ended up leaving it. My observation is that the babystay is needed to counteract the forces of the aft lower shrouds.

I have no clue as to how that track might be used.

-Mike
Hi Mike, thank you for the info. Yes, it is a tall rig. I was guessing the track was used to free up some space on the fordeck while going down wind

Nov 21, 2012
Interesting setup, using a car to tension the babystay. Have you tried it yet? How tight can you get it? Do you have a backstay adjuster? If not, the car and track might be how the previous owner put prebend in the mast.

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
Yes, the track is to allow variable tension on the babystay.. to reduce pumping, as mentioned, but also another way to induce some mast bend on a masthead rig. Many C&C boats from that era had similar setups.
The babystay in place is a major PITA if you're end-for-end gybing a spinnaker pole or using a whisker pole.
I doubt the rig would fail/fall down if you got rid of it... but, esp for choppy upwind upwind conditions, you'll appreciate it.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I saw one that has a fixed stay position on a 1981 boat.
Screenshot 2023-01-03 at 4.32.51 PM.png

Looks like it could serve as a small jib or storm sail shroud. This at least looks like it would be a decent anchor point, that could be backed and perhaps braced to the hull. If the mast got pumping, with out strong support I would be worried the location would lack the needed strength.

I would be concerned about a track system to serve this strong point fixture.

Nov 21, 2012
John - that's how mine is rigged. There is a stout backing plate underneath that fitting, attached to a bulkhead. Very strong, like everything else on the Yammies. The triangle is too small to fly a sail, I looked at it too. There's no question that the babystay makes gybing the spinnaker a PITA, but we're not racing.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Get an asymmetrical and gybe it out in front of the forestay. You just need to let it fly and bring it in on the opposite side.

Besides flying an Asymmetrical is possible as a solo sailor. A regular spinnaker is not.

Nov 21, 2012
I've been trying to figure out how to rig a sprit to fly an asym. Not a simple prospect on the Y-33. I assure you there's no room for a Selden without major surgery.

Flying it from the bow pulpit seems like a "Hold my beer" event waiting to happen..

Dec 27, 2020
Yamaha 30 - Tall Rig Vancouver
I have a Yamaha 30 tall rig. My mast has the same baby stay as does the other 5 in the marina. The standard rigs have a baby stay as well. I just had all my standing rigging replaced and queried that same question with the rigging company. The long time owner Stu said he's done rigging on many Yamaha 30's and said that baby stay is essential to the integrity of the mast. He said you have to keep it or risk you rig. You can chat with Stu at Pro-Tech in Vancouver and he'd be happy to chat with you.

I have seen a lever release on one Yamaha 30 where the baby stay is released so you can put a tender on the foredeck while motoring. That I expect would be safe to do.

Sep 15, 2019
Yamaha 33a san juan islands
New Owner of 1979 Yamaha 33. The forward baby stay on my boat is a line running back to the cockpit so it can be tensioned by winch on the cabin top or released to slack it

Nov 21, 2012
It's hard to imagine that you could get enough tension on the babystay with that method. Maybe with a multipart tackle.

My rigger also noted that it was a critical part of the rig. I should have requested a hyfield lever on it when I rerigged, so I could store a dinghy on deck. Maybe someday.