Xantrex Link-1000

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Just a note to share my "duh" moment. Admiral, granddaughter and I headed out for a few day cruise around the SanJuan Islands. Noticed upon boarding that the Link-1000, that has worked flawlessly all these years, had no display, but did have the volt and charge light on. Maybe a power reset might wake it up. Nope. Re-connected power, but then nothing, no lights, display, zip, nada.

No big deal, so we did our cruise and upon returning decided to check whether it was getting power. Placed the trusty Fluke test leads on the white and black (actually dark purple) contact points, which showed 12.65 volts. Hmm. Maybe it just got tired and decided to give up the ship, so to speak. Since most of my wiring experience has been with residential, I thought I got the right reading.

Got back home and did some online searching for a manufacture discontinued product. Lo and behold Craigs List had
a fellow in a nearby town with one for sale. Talk about lucky. Drove out to his place, purchased it and drove to the boat today to install it. Got it all hooked up and...nothing. Dead! Did he sell be a bill of goods? Again my trusty Fluke displayed 12.65 volts, so it appeared the unit was getting power. Maybe I'm missing something, so time to open up the manual and check everything out. Opened the manual to the wiring page and what to my surprise, the red wire is positive, not black. Sheesh! I've done quite of bit of wiring on the boat over the years, but it seems my default went to black positive based on my residential experience.

This time I placed the Fluke probes on the red (positive) and black (negative) leads and it displayed 00.00 volts. Time for some basic trouble shooting. Opened up the upper battery bank cover in order to check the connection and fuse, and lo and behold, the 2 amp fuse, where I had installed it several years ago per spec, was dead. Replaced with a spare good fuse and wah la, the Link-1000 came to life. Not sure why the fuse broke, but that I will keep an eye on. Now I have a spare Link-1000 that likely still works, although I did not hook it back up. That, as they say, is for another day.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Don't feel bad. My Kenwood boat stereo started shutting off randomly. sometimes it would restart when I cycled the breaker. Checked the breaker. Seemed good. I ordered another unit and installed it. Same problem! traced the wiring to the fuse. The fuse didn't look quite right, replaced it. Problem solved. Maybe I'll put the unit in my old Jaguar. Ah no... I have an old 8 track to go in.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Don't feel bad. My Kenwood boat stereo started shutting off randomly. sometimes it would restart when I cycled the breaker. Checked the breaker. Seemed good. I ordered another unit and installed it. Same problem! traced the wiring to the fuse. The fuse didn't look quite right, replaced it. Problem solved. Maybe I'll put the unit in my old Jaguar. Ah no... I have an old 8 track to go in.
8 track? you are obviously much older than me.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I installed a new subwoofer. Then I went and broke my leg skiing. Finally back to the boat 3 months later and it wouldn't work. Traced all the wiring and fuses...still nothing. Then I opened the electrical panel and found the genius who'd wired it (me!) had very cleverly run the circuit to the shower sump pump breaker to avoid running the subwoofer all the time. I'd just not gotten to document it properly, 'cuz I'd be back the next week to finish it all up...after that ski trip! :)

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Then I went and broke my leg skiing.
Oh the horror. Heard that story from many people about broken legs from skiing. Down hill, I suspect? Ski went one way and the leg went another? Yikes.