X-5 Smart Pilot Stopped Working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 3, 2004
Island Packet Island Packet 29 West River, MD
Helloe everyone,

I have the Raymarine X-5 Smartpilot with the ST60 control unit on my Hunter 34. After working fine it recently started to crap out on me. When I turn it on the control unit displays a series of messages in this order (each message lasts for several seconds before automatically going to the next message):

"No Pilot" to
"Standby" to
"Startup" back to
"No Pilot" to
"Standby" and it starts all over again.

When it's in Standby it always shows the correct magnetic heading. When I push the "Auto" button to engage the clutch it will either go to the Startup message or do nothing at all. I read thru the Troubleshooting section in the manual. It states if there is a No Pilot message the control unit is not receiving data from the computer. I checked the Sea Talk cable with a multi-meter and there is a reading at the control unit end. The control unit is getting power as evidenced by the readings. I thought the cable was bad so I got another but the problem persists.

Any ideas on what the problem could be would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe Mullee

Clark

Jun 30, 2004
Hunter 280 Lake Guntersville, AL
Sounds like a call to Raymarine is in order . . .

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Call Ray tech support

They are usually pretty good. One thing I have learned is if you don't get your questions answered, and the guy you talk to doesn't seem to really know whats going on, call back later and get another techie. Right after I installed a new 6000, just before the X5 came out, I had a problem. First guy I talked to didn't know squat. Second one had me going in a very short time.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Joe:

Contact Raymarine through their website. They will get back to you regarding your questions. They may want you to send parts to them for testing.

Phone contact is "sometimes" questionable. They are in the process of selling the company so their may be time delay, but they are usually good.

http://www.raymarine.com/Default.aspx?site=1&section=3

Sep 25, 2008
Morgan 415 Out Island Rogersville, AL
I've never had luch with Raymarine's website; however, you don't need to contact them before hand before sending the unit in. The address where to send your stuff is listed on the web site. The nice thing about Raymarine is that they always install the latest firmware in the equipment sent to them. I've sent stuff to them on 3 separate occasions. They've never charged me and turn around time was about 9 calendar days.

I get too frustrated trying to get them on the phone--when they answer, they answer and when they don't they don't.

Oct 14, 2005
1983 Hunter H34 North East, MD
Joe...

check all your connections, especially the ground wire from the panel to the battery (battery end is suspected). It sounds like there is a logic error occurring that could be the fault of a bad ground reference.

Jan 22, 2008
Pearson 34-2 Bas-Caraquet NB
Re: Joe...

I have the same problem....bought x5 this week...installed it and it worked a few hours and then the no pilot message appeared. Checked and recheck the connections....I will send the unit back to the store for reimbursement....was your problem fix

Status
Not open for further replies.