Wrong Boat in MD

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
......or especially, if you single hand sail.

One concern is the risk of spread due to travel. People out of their immediate area to go to cottages, second homes, boats etc. in another location. Not simply how many people are in that cottage or boat once they get there.

Stop for fuel, supplies etc.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Here in Los Angeles they have closed the beaches, the coastal bike path and a majority of the hiking/walking trails. Now there is a large faction that wants to close some auto roads so people will have a place to walk and ride their bikes.... Hmm

At least we can still go sailing.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
One concern is the risk of spread due to travel. People out of their immediate area to go to cottages, second homes, boats etc. in another location. Not simply how many people are in that cottage or boat once they get there
My wife and/ot I travel from our home to our sailboat and then travel back home. In Contra Costa County, where our boat is berthed, we are required to so social distance and wear a face mask, which we do on the dock.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
My wife and/ot I travel from our home to our sailboat and then travel back home. In Contra Costa County, where our boat is berthed, we are required to so social distance and wear a face mask, which we do on the dock.
Yup. Just pointing why the number on a boat isnt the whole story.

It obviously varies for some people.
Some go longer distances and stop to get fuel outside their own area.

Unfortunately wearing masks and social distancing isnt a guarantee of course.
About limiting risk.

Not really viable to make differing rules.

Person A can travel to boat, person B can't because he has to stop for fuel.

People cant seem to follow or understand a simple rule nevermind differing ones.
And the "why them and not me" question comes up.

Universal, more harsh rules would be more effective, but as can be seen so far, that isnt gonna happen.

"Stay tuned for rule changes as local situations change, and enjoy the sailing when you can" is my motto this year.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Or a more extreme approach for my family was to move away from the North East because while I love the area I just could not take the politics and over reaching government built on shocking taxation levels. 10 years in Alabama, the longest we have every stayed in a state as a family, and we won't be moving any time soon.
:plus:

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
What you mean "We" Kemo -Sabe?
They all stink - just in different flavors. Whenever I bother to send a letter I usually get a form letter back that doesn't even address my point: "We are working tirelessly to make sure that ...Blah, Blah, Blah ..."
I once wrote to a Congressman when we lived in R.I. asking simply “will you answer a question I have” and the response was “ we are working diligently on this issue”.

He was re-elected and is still in Congress. We are the problem.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Except for the 10 people on a boat rule, the rules seem reasonable. I'm guessing the 10 person rule applies to Charter boats since it refers to captain and crew.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
I did vote for him as he, up to recently, was a common sense guy. But we have more important things to do now. Finish stocking the boat, check the weather, float plan...
Would you vote for the same dumb sob again?
Insanity, doing the samething and expecting different results.

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 28 East Tawas
Forgive my rant. So in the great state of Maryland, our governor has decreed that no boats are to leave the dock during the pandemic unless its a kayak or similar device for purpose of exercise. Fine. No wait!! What about the poor fishermen who fish for sustinence. We must let them out also so they can provide food for their families. So now the rules state you can stuff up to TEN unrelated people on a fishing boat as long as social distancing is practiced (SERIOUSLY????). Wait!!! It gets better. These same poor fishermen who can't afford to go to the local Safeway for seafood (no shortage here) can buy a spot on a CHARTER fishing boat and go fishing. You can also stuff up to TEN of them on said charter fishing boat. Again social distancing being the joke here. And last weekend the fish must really be biting in Annapolis and especially in Ego Alley where more than a few half million dollar "fishing" boats were seen trolling up and down there. Some were also docked with their occupants partying on the dock. Fishing gear was of course in full view.
MEANWHILE. All sailboats are stuck at the dock. We were told the DNR was checking every vessel for fake fishing arrangements and to stay at the dock or face penalties. So while the fishing clowns are out there infecting each other we are not permitted to sail by ourselves (what I normally do) or with members of our own households. All of our neighboring states allow sailing under those conditions.
It is clear the sport fishing lobby is far more skilled at bribing the governor than the sailing community. With that I wait patiently for our turn to be released.
Here in the wilds of Michigan our Governor, one Gretchen Whitmer, decreed that only kayaks, canoes and unpowered sail bots were allowed on Michigan's rivers and lakes. The notion being that those powered vessels were sure to all get together and have a huge raft-up fest thumbing their nautical noses at Whitmer. Granted the order was soon rescinded but it did hold for a few weeks. The one and only discernible difference between the two classes of boats was that one used fossil fuel while the other didn't. Even the slickest sailing captain usually uses the "iron jib" leaving and returning to the slip. IMHO this is all a dress rehearsal for the Green New Deal which the far left wants to inflict on the entire planet. Well that's my rant for today. Thanks for reading.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Would you vote for the same dumb sob again?
Insanity, doing the samething and expecting different results.
Remember who ran against him the last time. We would have been locked down til September. I am disappointed with his swing to the left but he is definitely the far lesser of 2 evils. OH NO! We are drifting into politics! Save me.

I wish the weather was better this weekend. Too bad we could not have last weekend's weather this week now that we can boat. Phew. That was a close one.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
And he did veto Kirwan. That would have been really shoveling money into a hole in something.

ARRRGH! Must.....get.......back.......to.....sailing.........

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
IMHO this is all a dress rehearsal for the Green New Deal which the far left wants to inflict on the entire planet. Well that's my rant for today. Thanks for reading.
I'm always surprised by boaters who seem to think or at least take positions against clean water and clean air.