Wrenches needed to tighten stuffing box on a 28.5

Nov 27, 2013
Hunter 28.5 Lake Perry
Can anyone tell me what size wrench(es) are required to tighten the stuffing box on my 87 Hunter 28.5? The guy who sold it to me said he had used silicon when he replaced it on the hard, but I should loosen it to 4-5 drops per minute before launching her. I think I can figure out which nuts/sleeves to loosen but want to make sure I have the right wrenches to take with me. Any advice on this? As always, thanks for your help.

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
You can buy the packing nut wrenches in Ralph's pix for about $15 ea @ home depot. They work well.

May 6, 2012
Hunter 28.5 Jordan, ON
I don't know if this will work for you, but I use large water pump pliers. I already have a few sizes in my tool box that work, so there was no additional cost for new tools.

IanJ

Nov 7, 2008
Hunter 31 Port Royal, CA
I use packing wrenches, but one time had to use a big pipe wrench as one nut was on so tight

tcbro

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 33.5 Middle River, MD
I use the same wrenches as Ralph & Warren.
Do you have the plastic stuffing box? My H28.5 had one until a H30 sailor showed me his. It was cracked 270* around. He had packed it with JB Weld to get home and had it hauled immediately. I promptly replaced mine with a bronze one.
Just curious, how are you going to know 4-5 drops before you launch. You need to be in the water and have your prop turning while you count drops.

Tom

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Wrenches needed to tighten stuffing box on a

Just curious, how are you going to know 4-5 drops before you launch. You need to be in the water and have your prop turning while you count drops.

Tom
Just do it hand tight while on the hard. Check it once you're in the water and tighten it to what you want