Wrapping the suspension post

Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
While I await sailing season in Nova Scotia, I always take on a few small projects.
I would like to wrap the post under the mast in paracord or something else so the chrome does not show.
Does anyone have any ideas of the type of line to use and the style??
Thanks,

Mike Casey
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I like that idea. Some people make wrapping look like art. I would think thicker would look better than thin. Just my opinion. Be sure and post pics of the project.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Might sound like a good idea, but you may hear from others that did it, it is not a good idea. Chrome and SS need to breath off moisture. If moisture is trapped, it will rust and/or peel. I think that is a "compression post" you refer to- but we knew what you meant.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Did not know that. Mine is painted. I wouldn't mind doing this. I'll bet it's more line than I would imagine to wrap 4-5' high

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Knot tying is a Seaman’s art. There are a number of reasons.
Here is an Idea on a paddle.
https://www.itstactical.com/skillco...how-to-wrap-a-paddle-or-handle-with-paracord/

Ron raises a good point. Stainless is not rust free.
Perhaps a complete wrap is not good.
Additionally you’ll find that wrapping a vertical pole with paracord might be difficult to keep the wrap in one place. I think it would have a tendency to slide down the pole. You are likely going to have people reaching for it and thus increasing the chance that the knot work would slide.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I wrapped mine many years ago on my Hunter 40.5. I wrapped it twice. The first time was with hemp rope for a classic look. It was awful, shedding all the time. The second time I wrapped it with white poly. Works well and easy to clean since people use it as a hand hold. FWIW
EnsenadaMay2013 092.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
Rick. Nice work. You wrapped it from the ceiling to the table top. It looks like your compression post has a painted surface.
I can see that the wrapping has stayed in place. There have been no leaks around the compression post.
All looks very good.

The OP had not provided any picture.
I can only guess that his is something like this one from a 2001 Beneteau 331.
BenCP1.jpg
How and with one material he selects as a wrap may or may not turn out as pretty.

Oct 22, 2014
Our cat likes to scratch the wrapped pole on his cat condo.
I spent about 90 minutes wrapping the pole a year ago.
pole.JPG
I would not want to have a boat cat aboard and a wrapped pole that required hours of careful knot work...

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Who are those three handsome old salts in the picture??
The short guy in the middle is me (2011). The guy to the left is Juan Hussong, of Ensenada, Baja Norte, Mexico. The guy to the right (photo right) is Tona Anda Padilla. Tona has a large insurance brokerage in Ensenada and races his Melges 20. Juan has a Hanse 42 or so and has a fabulous steak house run by his son and does real estate. The Hussong family has a long history there. Both are members of Club Nautico Baja, the yacht club which runs regattas and works to promote nautical tourism. TMI :biggrin:?

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Compression post.

Yes, I did that on my PDQ catamaran, mostly for grip. I also wrapped some of the vertical hard top supports, in the cockpit. Same reason. Yes, it does get dirty, so I would stick to a plain wrapping with 1/4" nylon cord from the hardware store, and replace it every few years. Not fancy, but clean looking. Heck, on a multihull, fancy work would look out of place.

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
I did this on our wheel several years ago. it is called cockscomb wrapping, Here is a video I found on how to do one of the basic wraps:

If you do some research you can find a lot of information and even videos of how to tie some of the fancier knots. Its not a bad way to spend a few evenings. The old salts will cover it with varnish once done so that it doesn't wear as much but that is your choice. Navy vessels used to have this all over.

Have fun,