wow...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
I wish....... Gale warning in Effect ..... Current Conditions W 36 gusting to 46, waves 3.6 metres at 7 sec. intervals.
Water level at our marina has risen 2 ft. today with the winds.
I'm holed up inside winterizing the engine and plumbing etc..... which is fun as the boat heals 5 - 10 deg. with each gust

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
PFFFTT!!! I went down to the lake to retrieve the cell phone I dropped off the boat in August. :doh: There's maybe 12-18 inches in my slip and the access ramps were at pretty close to a 45 degree angle. Verboten is on the hard until April or May now. *sniff* :cry:

On the plus side, the Micro SD card was fine after 2 months submerged and I was able to recover my photos. :D

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Yup, great sailing

We had our annual Frostbite Regatta yesterday in Quantico and had a great turn out. 14 boats and sailors from 6 different clubs from up and down the river. Forecast was wrong as they predicted 9-12 mph of wind and we had about 24 knots all day (sorry to lazy to convert). We had a few boats retire after the first race with snapped halyard, broken tackle and one shredded sail (it was an older sail). Then my committee boat bailed out as he was taking 30 degree rolls, so I stepped in and anchored out. Awesome 2nd race as two spinnaker boat finished within 12 seconds of each other (in spite of one snapping their jib halyard 100 yards from the finish) and then the non spin boats all finished within 2 minutes of each other for some nice photo finished.

Only real issue I had was getting my anchor out as the Potomac River mud has a fierce grip on it. But if you look at the picture I suspect it is time for a new one as I did have a real hard time getting it out. So now I have a side question. I was thinking about a Manson Supreme, but given the state of my shank, would the solid shank of the Rocna be better?

Attachments

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Wow, how's your windless doing? I would straiten and use as an emergency spare.

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
But it held! Look at it! Pretty cool really, if not expensive.

But how can you have a Frostbite Regatta NOW? We have our in December. There has to be snow and ice on the shore to make it real!! But what do I know? I'M not doing THAT! I'll go to November but that's my limit.

Don

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 46 Georgetown YB
Beware the solid Chinese steel in the Rocna these days!

We had a great sail in the upper Chesapeake yesterday. Predicted winds were 20 - 30 knots from the WSW. They were closer to south. Sustained winds averaged between 23 & 28 kts. Max gust I noticed was 32.9 kts.

According to the chartplotter we sailed 27.5 nm in a little over 4 hours. We had a couple of port tacks where we were cranking between 8.3 & 8.8 kts SOG. Couldn't get over 7.8 on a starboard tack.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I wish....... Gale warning in Effect ..... Current Conditions W 36 gusting to 46, waves 3.6 metres at 7 sec. intervals.
Water level at our marina has risen 2 ft. today with the winds.
I'm holed up inside winterizing the engine and plumbing etc..... which is fun as the boat heals 5 - 10 deg. with each gust
I was sailing DDW yesterday and had steady 23-24 knots apparent with a SOG of 7.1 - 7.6, against a slight tidal current.. Winds were gusting to the low 30's on the mooring before leaving but was blowing harder once I was out there.. Was blowing pretty well but not like where you were.. Still, loads of fun!!!:D

Feb 6, 1998
I was thinking about a Manson Supreme, but given the state of my shank, would the solid shank of the Rocna be better?
Is this a troll?;)

No the Rocna would not be better IMHO, and I own one. Rocna moved production to China and have also dropped the grade of shank steel they used to less than what Manson does. The Manson shank is slightly shorter, read less lever, and has MORE material despite the slot. I'd go with a Manson....

Mar 24, 2011
Macgregor 26X Lake Murray
Today was my second day of sailing instruction on the water. In the morning, very little wind, mostly in irons (good time to verbalize drills), mid 60's and sunny. In the afternoon, winds SW to 7, hot/sunny, GOOD SAILING!! MOB drills all afternoon...Phew..that wears a guy out. :)

Sep 29, 2008
Troll?

Is this a troll?;)

No the Rocna would not be better IMHO, and I own one. Rocna moved production to China and have also dropped the grade of shank steel they used to less than what Manson does. The Manson shank is slightly shorter, read less lever, and has MORE material despite the slot. I'd go with a Manson....
MS, I have been called worse on a regular basis so I will accept troll if you must use that term. ;) Actually on some things I tend to think about them too much when they are not so urgent, although you could say my quest for a new anchor has some new urgency now.

We call the race the Frostbite as on a few years we have started the day with frost. The past 3 we have had spectacular winds and 3 years ago it was 45, raining a cold rain and blowing 15-20 knots. At this time of year anything goes.

Here is a nice video of the day as well as some pictures.
http://youtu.be/usCkVGdCi8g
https://picasaweb.google.com/107689...&authkey=Gv1sRgCN-nitiGwvfxSg&feat=directlink
Great day of racing. :dance:

Apr 22, 2009
Pearson P-31 Quantico
Why is the "Frostbite" now?

But it held! Look at it! Pretty cool really, if not expensive.

But how can you have a Frostbite Regatta NOW? . . .Don
Don;

About 59 years ago, the Marine Corps Base, MWR, and the Town of Quantico all joined together to host the LIGHTNING Nationals off Quantico (ah, the good old days), inthe rather chilling (but not yet cold) waters of the Potomac. After the nationals, there wasn't too much to do, other than haul boats before it was so cold that it would be dangerous.

Since the Nationals are not here anymore, we turned over the day to PHRF racing. Thus, the 59th running of the Quantico Frostbite.

Robert Lang

Sep 29, 2008
Still scratching my head

Wow, how's your windless doing? I would straiten and use as an emergency spare.
Witz, my windlass is just fine. I have never had a problem with it. I do have to mention that my wife kept driving the boat and keeping us straight while I was pulling the anchor up and she did a great job as the wind and tide were going in different directions and kept trying to spin the boat onto the anchor line again.
:theman:

Feb 6, 1998
Forgot I made a quick video of the sail from the original post.. Oh and who says a wheel pilot won't steer well down wind, even an under sized one..:D

Status
Not open for further replies.