Wow, a mysterious beauty

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Saw this in the shipyard docks in Newport Beach last week.
The pictures cannot portray her perfection and brilliance.
A top tier yacht, in all categories.

She looks like an Alerion 41, but notable differences and there's a moniker "CN" on the side.
Any ideas re builder?

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Could it be C&N Yachts (Camper & Nicholson) in Gosport UK? Just a guess. I can't find an example with the oval portals

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
nice Friendship 40. The decal must be the boat's home yacht club? Note the sheer stripe with Friendship logo (stylized F swoopy thing)

Jan 20, 2017
Yamaha 33 Vancouver
Can you imagine actually owning her, however?

My sphincter would be puckered up so tightly-from fear that I’d blemish the fine finish on my boat-that you could make diamonds from shoving coal into my bum.

Beautiful boat otherwise.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i got to deliver a 53' friendship from rhode island to antiqua. no need to baby these boats. they are built to sail.
ted fontaine design

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I'm going to avoid allowing that to form into an image in my mind, but I know what you mean.

-Will (Dragonfly)

reworb

Apr 22, 2011
Beneteau 311 Ft Myers Beach
I lived in Newport Beach for many years; The burgee (picture on the side of the boat) with an N on it is the burgee for Newport Harbor Yacht Club. No idea about the one with C on it

May 31, 2004
Catalina 28 Branford
A Friendship Yachts tale:
One year, my wife agreed to come with me to the Newport Boat Show. I wanted to get her interested in maybe buying a used Catalina 309 (this was a few years ago). Before going to the Catalina display, we found ourselves walking along the docks where the Friendship 40 was docked. Instead of suggesting that we go to the Catalina first, I agreed to go aboard the Friendship. Mistake. Those boats are beyond beautiful; it's like they picked every gorgeous element of every classic sailboat and then let loose a team of woodworking geniuses. Everything else at the show paled in comparison to the Friendship, even the Morris daysailers. When we finally did go aboard the Catalina, my wife took a quick look around, made a face, said it looks kinda cheap, and went topside. Sigh.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
It's hard to like a Ford after sitting in a Bentley. I appreciate my Hunter for what it is to me, a weekend cruiser that doesn't take a lot of effort to maintain.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I wonder how much headroom is down below? Those little vents must be for the fuel tank and water tank.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
They built a Fontaine 50 and a 36' here in our harbor. Cold moulded wooden hull construction. That looks similar to the 36', if a bit longer.

The 36' was custom build with a very shoal draft for an owner (shallow dockage I suspect).

Many state of the art custom boats today, are built of wood composite.
Fountain 36 (1 of 1).jpg

Fontaine 36.jpg

CARY ALI COCKPIT CLOSE CROP.jpg

This is a low owner maintenance boat: 60 seconds or so to write the check, once a year.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
That may be a shallow draft but she looks pretty full in the bilge. She has some displacement. Must be a centerboarder? That answers the question about headroom down below.

-Will (Dragonfly)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
That may be a shallow draft but she looks pretty full in the bilge. She has some displacement. Must be a centerboarder? That answers the question about headroom down below.

-Will (Dragonfly)
There is full headroom below, and I think that was the tricky part of the design. A centerboard boat under 40' or so, is a game of inches. Instead of a typical keel stub to house the board, and keep the retracted board below the cabin sole, this has more of a whale shape below the waterline. It's easy to fit it all in if you don't mind looking at a box on the water, a lot tougher to make a sleek, low in the water 36'er, with an efficient centerboard.

As I recall, this boat draws about 30-32". The dual rudders allow less draft than the retracted centerboard.

This boat was systems heavy, electric everything, even a bow thruster.