Would you rent your trailer for $400? for 2 days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebsail

Nov 28, 2010
O day 25 Nyack. New York
I recently bought an O'day 25 (center board) and need to move it from Chesapeake City, Md to Nyack NY, about 200 miles. There it would be lifted by my club crane and dropped in the water. We would like to move it in late April. Does anyone have a roadworthy trailer in the vicinity of the Tappen Zee Bridge (Rockland County NY) or even within 50 miles that we could rent for a couple of days? We are willing to pay $400 for the rental. In short, you could put your boat in the water and then we could use your trailer. Please give me a call if interested. 845 323 3109

Nov 27, 2010
Oday 22 Avalon, NJ
I just bought an O'Day 22 with out a trailer. I found a cheap powerboat trailer on Craigslist for $200. and spent about $300 to modify it to fit my boat with adjustable bunk risers etc. Since you have time before you need the trailer you could be picky with the trailer. I didn't have that luxury! I bought the trailer on a Monday and picked the boat up that Friday. Knowing the draft and centerboard measurements help to set up the trailer. I did it all myself with just basic tools. I'd offer you my trailer but I think that I might be a little far for you....Avalon, NJ. Let me know if I can be of any help... Joe

billh

Jun 9, 2009
Hunter 28.5 Inland NY
I would go with Joe. There are decent trailers out there and you have time. Maybe you don't want one for the long run though, storage etc. You could always resell it after wards. I bought a motor boat trailer for my O'Day 26 and refitted to acomodate the boat. The boat was on a heavy wooden cradle so I simply attached the cradle to a very large tandem axle trailer and viola.

However, when I first purchased the boat, I contracted a hauler to haul it form VT to NY. His price was very reasonable, not far from your rental price. So maybe call around for different haulers, some are not as bad as you may think and far less hassle than building out or renting a trailer if you are not looking of keeping a trailer.

I am not that far from theTappen Zee Bridge, but my boat sits on the trailer for storage so not an option for me to remove it and all that. I did purchase the trailer form a guy on the Hudson down in Ravena. There were other trailers around when I purchased this one, craigslist was very helpful in that.

Also when I was looking for my boat with a trailer I saw many that were an interesting setup and I almost choose that option as well. They take a tandem axle utility trailer or equipment trailer and either weld jack stands on it or a frame and put the boat on that! They seemed to work though the trailer was short and if you were to launch from that trailer not sure it would work. But for hauling it worked out for them.

Just some idea's

Oh, the guy I had haul her was from a Marina further up the Hudson a Marina called Alcove near Schylerville NY. Not sure his range for hauling but you could always give him a holler he was very good. He did what he said he would and when he said he would do it and a very reasonable price. Cant beat that in today's world! He advertises in the Hudson River Magazine that is on-line.

Good Luck and congrats on the new boat purchase.

Happy Sailing

Bill H.

I recently bought an O'day 25 (center board) and need to move it from Chesapeake City, Md to Nyack NY, about 200 miles. There it would be lifted by my club crane and dropped in the water. We would like to move it in late April. Does anyone have a roadworthy trailer in the vicinity of the Tappen Zee Bridge (Rockland County NY) or even within 50 miles that we could rent for a couple of days? We are willing to pay $400 for the rental. In short, you could put your boat in the water and then we could use your trailer. Please give me a call if interested. 845 323 3109

ebsail

Nov 28, 2010
O day 25 Nyack. New York
I just bought an O'Day 22 with out a trailer. I found a cheap powerboat trailer on Craigslist for $200. and spent about $300 to modify it to fit my boat with adjustable bunk risers etc. Since you have time before you need the trailer you could be picky with the trailer. I didn't have that luxury! I bought the trailer on a Monday and picked the boat up that Friday. Knowing the draft and centerboard measurements help to set up the trailer. I did it all myself with just basic tools. I'd offer you my trailer but I think that I might be a little far for you....Avalon, NJ. Let me know if I can be of any help... Joe
Quotes so far for transporters are about $1000 plus $50 per hour for wait time.

Nov 27, 2010
Oday 22 Avalon, NJ
I too use my trailer to store the boat in the off season but will hopefully have it in the water by the time you need a trailer! Anyway the other good reasons for using a boat hauler is that they should be more experienced in transporting a boat than you as well as they are properly insured. I have little to no boat experience but I've trailered my race car for over ten years. My experience in owning and maintaining trailers and the need for storage mobility pushed me to buy. Good luck...

ebsail

Nov 28, 2010
O day 25 Nyack. New York
I would go with Joe. There are decent trailers out there and you have time. Maybe you don't want one for the long run though, storage etc. You could always resell it after wards. I bought a motor boat trailer for my O'Day 26 and refitted to acomodate the boat. The boat was on a heavy wooden cradle so I simply attached the cradle to a very large tandem axle trailer and viola.

However, when I first purchased the boat, I contracted a hauler to haul it form VT to NY. His price was very reasonable, not far from your rental price. So maybe call around for different haulers, some are not as bad as you may think and far less hassle than building out or renting a trailer if you are not looking of keeping a trailer.

I am not that far from theTappen Zee Bridge, but my boat sits on the trailer for storage so not an option for me to remove it and all that. I did purchase the trailer form a guy on the Hudson down in Ravena. There were other trailers around when I purchased this one, craigslist was very helpful in that.

Also when I was looking for my boat with a trailer I saw many that were an interesting setup and I almost choose that option as well. They take a tandem axle utility trailer or equipment trailer and either weld jack stands on it or a frame and put the boat on that! They seemed to work though the trailer was short and if you were to launch from that trailer not sure it would work. But for hauling it worked out for them.

Just some idea's

Oh, the guy I had haul her was from a Marina further up the Hudson a Marina called Alcove near Schylerville NY. Not sure his range for hauling but you could always give him a holler he was very good. He did what he said he would and when he said he would do it and a very reasonable price. Cant beat that in today's world! He advertises in the Hudson River Magazine that is on-line.

Good Luck and congrats on the new boat purchase.

Happy Sailing

Bill H.
I'll call Alcove and see what he asks in $$. I'll also look for a daul axle utility trailer in good shape. I thought of this before and 6 jacks cost cost 800 bucks plus the trailer plus the welding, plus the trailer. If I can get the boat to Nyack, then I only need a cradle since the boat will stay there.

billh

Jun 9, 2009
Hunter 28.5 Inland NY
Yea, I see your issue, and it is a certainly a tight spot. Someone mentioned a hauler being insured and all that and that was why I ended up spending the cash on the initial haul, due to it being a bigger boat out of my comfort zone at that time and the insurance issue.

Bob at Alcove did a great job, but then I was fairly close to him and the pickup wasn't too far either. He was recommended by everyone I spoke with at my particular boat club, so it was a no brainier. I did not like parting with the cash as it was money I could have used for new sails, better trailer you pick the item :) But, in the end the peace of mind was worth the cost.

I now have a trailer and so do my own hauling but it is nerve wracking each time. I haul out and move no issues to date. However end of season haul out and moved to my brothers house there was a potential issue.

She shifted forward, or slid forward somehow, and in that the front bumpers were pushing in the hull! On both sides of the forward hull there were huge indentations where the wood was pushing in the hull, and I was qite worried about damage.

We gently jacked up the boat from the keel a little at a time and then pulled the trailer forward while holding the boat stationary, trust me this was quite a unique trick, and were able to slide the boat back on the cradle that is attached to the trailer and get the boat repositioned. The dents came out fine and she seems to be sitting properly again on the trailer. I dont see any cracks but come spring will have to take a closer look.

However this was nerve wracking and quite an endeavor to get the boat moved while on the trailer, a few 8ton bottle jacks lots of straps a tractor and heavy duty truck, and several hours of very painful inch by inch moving. Not something I would want to do again.

Thus we are rebuilding the cradle under the boat to prevent this from happening again, but the end could have been more disastrous. The bumper that the boat sits on that rests on the hull could have gone through as the fiberglass there in the forward area is very thin and weak. I could easily have destroyed the boat completely. So I hope this is a lesson learned.

As a one time move I would certainly spend the money again on Alcove for the peace of mind and confidence in it getting there on one piece. But I move three to four times a year and that would be cost prohibitive.

Maybe I can talk to you one day about the Hudson, I am planning a trip down the Hudson next year (2011) from Albany to say West Point area, with my sail boat. I will launch near Albany and spend a week sailing down to wherever I make it in a week. Haul out and haul her home from a Marina or Public launch down river.

Never been on the Hudson on a boat let alone sailed and I have lived here all my life, so I am looking forward to the experience. But any inside knowledge would be good. I have a shoal keel so not too worried about shallow area's. Just not to familiar with the tide issue.

I understand the tide comes all the way up to Albany and the current at times goes both ways up to Albany and Down to the city. I really don't understand tide flow and all that.

Happy Sailing and Merry Christmas as well.

Bill H.

I'll call Alcove and see what he asks in $$. I'll also look for a daul axle utility trailer in good shape. I thought of this before and 6 jacks cost cost 800 bucks plus the trailer plus the welding, plus the trailer. If I can get the boat to Nyack, then I only need a cradle since the boat will stay there.

ebsail

Nov 28, 2010
O day 25 Nyack. New York
Hi Bill - Thanks for relating your experience with the trailer. I had my old Sonar on a trailer and it also slid slightly. After that, I ran a tie down strap from the back of the trailer around the front of the keel and back again preventing forward movement. I did the same from the front of the trailer around the rear of the keel and back again, after which the boat never moved again. The Hudson is very pretty and you should start a little more south and give yourself time to get down to Haverstraw Bay and the wide part of the river at the Tappan Zee Bridge. The Haverstraw Marina has a launch ramp, but I don't know what they charge to use it.

ebsail

Nov 28, 2010
O day 25 Nyack. New York
Also if you get down to the Tappan Zee Bridge area, The Nyack Boat Club,(My club) gives overnight moorings for $20 and on weekends all day, and weekdays Tues- Frid, 4-9 PM, launch service included.

Status
Not open for further replies.