Would You Consider Dinghy Rings vs. Davits

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I installed dinghy davits on my 2004 Hunter 386 and sailed with a dinghy and motor on them all the time in the SF bay and down the coast and was very satisfied with their performance. Now I am looking into dinghy davits or rings (link below) for my Hunter 46. Previous threads on this site provided really good dinghy davit experience and input. However, does anyone have any experience with dinghy rings? They do have a weight limit and partially block the view off stern.

https://www.dinghyrings.com/en-GB/learn-more/3-models-32328704

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I’ve only seen one sailboat with this arrangement and wondered what would happen if the stern squatted in a trough.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Chafe?

And unless you only sail in 15 knots or less, the dinghy is going to get smacked. Nice wind catcher, too.

I had davits on my last boat so I do understand. You spent a good penny on the boat, so finish the job. IMO, cruising boat without davits is not complete. They should be stock.

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
We just installed davits from Ocean Marine this week. I like backing into my slip and still can quite easily with our new davits. I can also leave the motor on the dingy while hoisted. Looking at the davit ring system site, both your view astern is reduced, and you can't leave the motor on. For those two reasons I wouldn't consider them.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I can imagine the problems with that ring mounting system in 30+ knots of wind... from any direction; it could become a problem very quickly. I admire the innovation, but it requires you to remove the motor anyway — so it’s better to hoist the dinghy with a halyard and lash it on the deck inverted.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
T
I can imagine the problems with that ring mounting system in 30+ knots of wind... from any direction; it could become a problem very quickly. I admire the innovation, but it requires you to remove the motor anyway — so it’s better to hoist the dinghy with a halyard and lash it on the deck inverted.
Rarely do I look at something and know within 5 seconds that it’s not going to work. This is one of those moments.