Would you buy your boat again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 19, 2008
Catalina 320 Pasadena, MD
Hi all...my maiden post here. Last year I got back into sailing with a 1981 Hobie H16. Love that boat!! After 21 years of rotating swing shifts I've been promoted to all day work with weekends and holidays off!! YEA!!! This warrents another boat (additional...we're keeping the Hobie!). We want a boat that we can spend a weekend (or longer) on. I've been all over the graph on what to get non-trailer, trailer, old and big, new and small, etc. Basically...as of now, I think we would be served best with a boat that can deal with the shallow waters of the mid to upper areas of the Chesapeake. I'm thinking a trailer sailer would fit the bill. I don't want to be a slave to the slings, plus I like the idea of towing to different areas to sail. I have a big diesel 4wd truck for towing so weight isn't a problem. It would mostly be just me and my wife and sometimes (maybe) the dog but it would be nice to fit another couple in a pinch. Then there is quality. I didn't know most sailboats have wood cores in the deck, this is putting a little fear into things, my experience with powerboats is that all wood and foam eventually gets wet and rots (Well the foam fills with water). I was leaning toward Magreggor 26's but also like the Hunter boats (looks like I can by a newer 23.5 with trailer for around 10K). Then I'm told the Catalina 250 is the boat to have. So I figure I'd bring it up on this site. What do you have and would you recomend it? 10K is the area I'm looking to spend and eventually would probably resell to move up...maybe. I don't want another project but I don't need the lastest and greatest either.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Here's my list

j-24 - Yes. But for racing only Cape Dory 27 - No. Well built boat but very cramped, wet & slow. Catalina 30 - Yes. But only a post 1988 model & for coastal cruising Catalina 36 - Yes. But only a MKII Catalina 310 - Yes. For coastal cruising only CS - 36T -Yes. Without a doubt I'd buy this boat again in a heart beat. Go bigger especially if your already thinking about moving up! A Catalina 27 or 30, shoal draft, is a great choice for weekending but NOT very trailerable. Trailering a 20-25 footer sailboat can get very old very fast. Just my .02..

Hogan

Aug 28, 2007
Hunter 260 Bay Springs, Ms
Hunter 260 and Yes!

I would buy it again. I just purchased my H-260 this past September so have not had a full season to enjoy it yet, but so far I love it. It would seem ideal for what you are looking for, however I think it would require considerably more than the $10k you mentioned. My first boat is a Precision 23 which is a joy to sail and great weekender; easily trailerable if that is one's desire. I hate selling it, but having two boats in the slip is a little much. I have spent many nights onboard enjoying cooking a good meal and welcoming the sunrise. Now that boat fits in your price range and has berthing for five, but really much better for two people. And yes, I would buy it again.

Jack

Jan 30, 2008
Hunter 33 -
bigger will be better

As Maine Sail said, if you are already thinking of moving up... we have a hunter 33 and we love it. we went to the new england boat show last month and we couldn't find a similar size boat we would trade for ours. you mentioned weekends, sometimes with guests, IMHO room below is priceless when spending extended time on board. the ability to bring friends along and to have enough room is great. I am still a little new to sailing so i don't know the builders that well...so listen to Maine Sail. we would buy our boat again in a heartbeat. J&R

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Start With Trailer Sailor

Sounds like a trailer sailor will do just fine for you right now, You have the perfect truck for pulling a trailer,catalina,hunter,mcgregger. what ever you choose will do to get started again until you get hooked and fined out what type of sailing you will be doing. I started with a sunfish and than three different hobie cats,14,16,18. I started looking at trailor sailor's but the wife said no more trailering a boat and she fell in love with a Hunter 290 which we really loved. We are older now and wanted more comfort for retirement,we now have a Hunter 36 loaded with all comforts and ease for sailing on longer trips with guest. Nick

Mar 18, 2006
Catalina 25 Standard/Fin Keel Grand Lake, OK
I might not buy our boat again... but

It's not because we don't like it. We have a 1985 Catalina 25 fin keel/standard rig. I wasn't going to buy a boat this old (we bought her 2 years ago), but the previous owner had made many upgrades and kept it in mint condition, and it was about the price you have mentioned. Although we don't have a trailer, it can be trailered. The reasons we are looking bigger? Not all are my requirements, but the Admiral has input as well. There are basically 5.... 1. Taller Cabin - The Admiral is much shorter than I, so she is fine. I, however, end up the season with bruises on my head from hitting the bulkhead support. 2. Enclosed Head with a marine toilet. Yeah the screens keep the porta potty separate from the main cabin, but the Admiral wants somethin more substantial. 3. Complete galley - We have a single burner portable butane stove, but you can only cook one thing at a time. I am currently building in a two burner propane stove that uses the small disposable propane tanks. 4. Wheel steering - I am OK with tiller steering, but the Admiral wants the wheel. I have sailed both, and can work with either....and finally, 5. A larger sleeping area - The V berth on our boat is just not comfortable for 2 adults. We would like a queen sized berth under the cockpit and a bigger boat would have this as a standard. Like the two burner stove, I am in the process of building a support system in the main cabin that will allow us to use a queen sized air mattress. Numerous other owners of C25's have done the same. Before you move up, look at these 5 items and determine what you can live with and without. Then the process becomes much easier.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
wood cored decks

i believe it would be difficult to find a contemporary boat in the size range you mention that does NOT have a wood deck core and probably a wood topside core as well - either ply or balsa. Paticularly in a trailerable boat, weight, or more precisely, the center of gravity and weight distribution in general dictates something cored vs. a solid core (i.e., heavy) boat which will balance and handle better than a solid cored boat. In terms of what size to get, it's obviously a personal choice but very few poeple ever complain that their boat is too big!

Dec 3, 2003
Hunter Legend 37 Portsmouth, RI
I'm Not Aware Of...

...any Catalina 25's that are in your price range that are trailerable without being new. I used to own a '84 C25 and always had it on a mooring. I don't know when they went trailerabe, so be prepared to spend new-boat dollars. If they are trailerable then there wasn't any swing-keel available at the time. I now sail a Hunter Legend 37 (obviously not a trailerable) and love it!

Jun 2, 2004
Oday 25 pittsburgh
I did. I bought a 1978 O'Day 25 cb and then bought a 1979 O'Day 25 cb .

I like the boat. I just felt a need to upgrade :). r.w.landau

Feb 19, 2008
This IS a big help

Thanks everyone! And keep it coming! My sailing experience consists of an old wooden 13' Penquin as a kid waayyy back in the late 1970's...Me and that little blue ball AM radio covered the uppermost back bay of Ocean City MD (Until I flipped and found that radios don't like saltwater). In 1987 I bought a Solcat catamaran but sold it a year later when I bought my first house...That was 20 years ago. From that time on it was wrenching powerboats, some good some bad...ALL alot of work. Then last July the Admiral found us a 1981 Hobie H16 (I taught her that high grass around something is usually a "FOR SALE" sign). It sat for the better part of 20+ years but had very little use. I paid $500, replaced the wheels and tires, towed it home, replaced all the rigging and trampoline,bought extra goodies and on September 1st she saw the water for the first time in decades (Total investment, around $1200...so far...ordering more goodies this week). Due to working most weekends (then), we only got to use her a 4 or 5 times....So as you see my experience with sailboats is very limited. So all this advice you all supply IS valuable to me, most of my friends are powerboaters (Actually most are former boaters)the only access we have to sailboats is what we own...or will own. I did tow a sailboat owned by some people of Lithouanian decent off a mud flat during a winter gail once (I was the only other boater in the bar) I wouldn't take money but after the bar closed I was invited to their boat and got totally smashed on some kind of grain alcohol mixed with herbs and honey. Man that was some potent stuff. Oh yeah, the 10K is what I have set aside, I could do a little more but I figure we need to ease the Admiral into this. Actually she wants a large seagoing catamaran "someday", I can't wait for "someday", plus we do need to work up to the blue water cruiser set. So I THINK I would like to end up with an "easy in, easy out" boat that wouldn't be so bad possibly even staying with it...Yeah, I'm confused.

Feb 25, 2007
- - Sandusky, Ohio
C25

You can find a lot of C25's in that price range and, yes, Paul, many of them have swing keels and are trailer/sailers. The first Catalina I looked at was a '78 swing keel. IMO the swing keel does have its problems however and I wouldn't buy one. Many people love them, however. Not the least of the issues is the need for careful maintenance of the keel raising mechanism. There were a lot of C25s built, roughly 6000, so you should be able to find one in good condition in your area. They were last made in 1990. The cream of the crop is thought to be the '89 wing keel version. You can probably find one in your price range or maybe a little more. The C250 was introduced in '95 I think. You won't likely find a recent one in your price range. You should find some in the $15-$20k range. The water ballast version is a trailer sailer. The wing keel version is usually found on a trailer but, I wouldn't call it a trailer/sailer. It takes a lot of water to launch. The C25 association has lots of threads about tow strap launching techniques. I have a C250 Wing Keel. To answer your question directly, I'm not sure if I'd buy it again but I probably would. I love it and am not now looking to move up but, if i were to do it over, I may have looked more closely at the C30. It's not trailerable but, I wet slip my boat and splash it with the aid of the marina travel lift. So why not a longer boat? Remember, the longer the boat, the more systems that require maintenance and money. I don't like to do maintenance and don't have a lot of money. My 250 is pretty much a plastic bucket with a mast and tiller. The C25/250 has a large, active association whose members have solved every problem ever seen in those boats. My thought about the Mac 26 is that it is a marketing driven design. I can't imagine a 50HP motor (200 pounds????) on the stern of any sailboat and expect that boat to sail well. Conversely, a power boat with a big mast just doesn't make any sense to me. It probably has a great place to keep the beer cold, though. I would agree with what you heard, the C250 is the boat to have if you're looking for a 25 footer.

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 250 Wing Keel Eugene, OR
C250

We have a C250 Wing Keel. I would definitely buy it again. We sail our local lake and take it twice a year to the San Juans for two week cruises. Trailerability is important for us. Large interior, giant berth under the cockpit, enclosed head, wheel steering, roomy and comfy. You'll need a truck to tow it. Our GMC Yukon SUV is barely adequate. The C250 is a fine trailerable cruiser but you wont find one for $10k. For $10k I would suggest a Catalina 25 and try to get wing keel or the swing keel. Full keel can be trailered but is much tougher to launch and retrieve. You can find one for $10k and the C25/250 association is great.

T

T J Furstenau

H26 Fits the bill

Before moving up to our H35.5, we had a '94 Hunter 26 that comes pretty close to fitting your requirements. Trailerable, swing keel with shallow draft, enclosed head, decent galley, two reasonable berths. It was a great boat, and the only reason we moved up was due to the fact that we've got 4 kids and simply out grew it. First few years, we strictly trailer sailed, and then we found that keeping it in a slip that we used it a lot more. But the flexibility to be able to haul it home for the winter to store, or to be able to pull it out for a week here or there to head to Lake Erie, or Kentucky Lake, or where ever made it an excellent choice for us. And like you, we moved up to our H26 from an '81 Hobie 16. Unfortunately, we sold ours and I'm kicking myself about that now. But the experience of trailering and set up / take down on the Hobie was an easy transition, and we generally could have it up or down in under and hour. The only gap in your check list is the price, I don't think that you'll find one for $10k, but you should be able to get one for under $15k and it will almost certainly hold its value from there. Good luck - T J

Dec 3, 2003
Hunter Legend 37 Portsmouth, RI
John...

Thanks for the historical info. It seems that since I sold my C25 in 1994, I haven't seen too many boat below 30' any more on the bay. STRANGE? But, I never realized there was a trailerable C25 out there before. There are none that I have ever seen in New England waters that I have sailed quite extensively.

Feb 19, 2008
Racine Wisconson!!

Hey TJ, I spent some time in Racine back in the winter of 84/85. Mostly Friday and Saturday nights. I was stationed at Great Lakes for boot camp and Gunners Mate "A" School. Is Rodgers Country Mill still around? We also used to hit the Pub And Grub but I can't remember if that was in Racine. Yeah, we're keeping the Hobie. As a matter of fact I just ordered some goodies today for it. I am going to take my time. Gather as much information as I can stand and then probably take the dive on a weekender sometime this spring or summer.

Jun 8, 2004
Macgregor 26M Delta, B.C. Canada 26M not X
Here's a List.

I have a MacGregor and quite like it but I bought it before I knew about this list. The only down side to the Mac or most any trailerable is the skinny beam for legal towing. The bigger boat cost moorage fees.

Feb 19, 2008
Leaning towards....

A West wight Potter 19. This looks like a popular higher quality boat (IMHO) that could easily be bought...and sold if we develop 2,4,or 10 footitis. It also looks to be something good to break the Admiral in on with. I'm trying not to be a brand slave but I keep coming back to this model. I'll admit my limited knowledge, a loyal following and great marketing may be leading me there. I'll try to keep my options open but as of know a WWP-19 seems to fit the bill.

B

Bob V

Nice choice Swamp creek

I haven't ever owned one or even sailed on a WWP but I have admired them for a long time. I think they are one of the more seaworthy boats in that size. I started out in a Mac 26 D that was a pretty nice boat to learn on but lightly rigged and built. I have worked my way up to a C42 little by little and have done a bit of crusing by now in the PNW. I remember a couple of years ago I was crossing the Straight of Gorgia in conditions that were a bit rough. We were in a C350 and not having any problems except for uncomfortable dogs. There was this tiny speck off in the distance coming out way and as we passed by I saw that it was a WWP 14. He seemed to be having a great time in a boat that was the size of our dinghy. I was at the boat show in January and saw a WWP 19 on display. I spent a bit of time inside and out giving it a good look and I was really impressed with the way they are built and the efficient layout of the cockpit and interior. Looks like an excellent boat to round out your fleet. By the way, we went to the same school. I was Class of 1969. Bob V

Les

May 8, 2004
Hunter 27 Bellingham, WA
Strange this disease called footitis

It is enjoyable to read the responses so far--yes, no, go bigger, buy this, buy that. From a different perspective I suggest that we all have different needs and that these needs change as we grow older. I'm in my mid seventies so older I understand. But your question, Swampcreek, intrigues me. My wife and I have had nine boats and we're thinking of our tenth. Our first boat was a Cal 20 and we were young, just married and were still flexible and were not fazed by getting wet, either from rain or spray. We loved that boat and cruised it all over Puget Sound and the San Juan Islands. Charts and a compass. The head so small you either sat or kneeled (I won't get into the particulars). But after five years, we traded it in on a Pearson 27 (the old design). It was not my favorite boat but we could stand up in it. But for us it did not sail well--but we were still young and broke and bought the Pearson without pulpits or winches. The latter made it hard to sail. After five years we traded the Pearson in on a Ranger 29 with an inboard Atomic Four and my education continued. Cruising was still our fun thing but I started racing too. It was a great boat but other boats were going faster--no way. So we traded the 29 in on a Ranger 32--a real racing boat with 9 winches and 11 sails. Were we having fun yet? Racing yes, cruising no. It had only four bunks--all singles and we were still young enough to see the problem. We broke the mast in the Swiftsure race, hit logs and broke the strut in another race and got hit by another boat in another race. Fun began to change. We missed the cruising so we went shopping and bought a Sceptre 36--we now had our BIG boat. And a diesel as well. We headed for Desolation Sound and we enjoyed cruising again--this time go further then we had before. But thing still were not just right. We had hull no. 1 and parts of the boat didn't quite fit. We saw the newer boats and they had storage areas we didn't have. We went shopping after five years. Hunter came out with a 40 footer in the mid eighties that was beautiful. You could walk around the stern beds--walk, not stoop. And it could be all ours if we chartered it. So we did. While we cruised a bit, our beloved boat was cruising more with others then with us. This was not good. And I was spending most of my weekends repairing parts of the boat I didn't know anyone could break. But there was another factor that began to raise its head--this boat was big and it took the two of us to sail and dock it. Middle age had advanced and it was harder to raise the big main or the heavy anchor. It was another learning lesson for the two of us. After five years (the chartering contract) we traded down to a more normal size for us or so we though--a Hunter Vision 32 practically a cat boat rig. A fun cruiser but I could not get it to sail well. My wife and i were not happy yet. We were still learning--must haves in our boats were a diesel and a sugar scoop stern. And rumble seats. Had to have. But this boat didn't leave the harbor as much--we realized we really like to sail---and we couldn't get this one to do much. When I raced her we'd get lapped. Being lapped is not fun. So we traded it in on a Hunter 35.5. My oh my what a great boat that was. A great sailer and fast and fun. We had great cruises, and great racing. We even won boat of the year in our local races for having the best percentage even with its bulb winged keel. We were hot. But things change and a favorite crew member had a stroke and died and CNG became hard to get. While looking another new Hunter to see how they did the propane I heard my wife say she liked this boat. I'm slow but not dumb. Anytime your best friend and partner says she likes a boat, you buy and we did. We bought our present Hunter 380 and the fiberglass arch. That was 1999. What a beautiful boat. I had quit racing and we went cruising. Back to old haunts and secret coves. All our favorite places. We were older now--close to retirement and this boat fit our needs. Sugar scoop stern, a beautiful and quiet diesel, roller furling main and jib, everything led back to the cockpit, a hot shower, a great galley and a large queen size for two (and two cats). I don't believe Hunter ever designed a better boat. It was perfect....just perfect. Except for one thing--we were getting older and our needs were changing. Now when we brought the 380 into the dock jumping down from the deck to the dock became a problem. Jumping is not my strong suit anymore. And when it came time to paint the bottom--oh my it was big. We had left our comfort zone. My wife couldn't wax or rub anymore and I fell off the ladder doing the bottom paint. Not good. And I wanted to go out more just for a day sail and taking the Hunter 380 out and just day sailing wasn't satisfying. It was a cruising boat and we weren't cruising anymore. So just this past week we put our Hunter 380 up for sail--our perfect boat. I'm emotional about it as it has been the best boat for us. But we've changed. So now I'm looking for a smaller boat but it HAS to have the following (note my education from all those other boats): sugar scoop stern to get into the dinghy. Roller furling main and jib, a Yanmar diesel with a MAX prop, a marine head (a necessity for us old guys), just one burner to make coffee, sleeping for two but not together (I've turned into a restless sleeper), everything led to the cockpit so that one person can sail the boat. A dodger, the three quarter rigged jib (easier for each of us to tack), --did I say a marine head. Oh, yeah. And it should be good looking but not old fashion. A few sailing instruments but no radar. I know my way around now. We've learned a lot over the years. I hope for the next few years we'll be able to day sail and maybe do an overnighter or two to some of our old favorite coves in the islands. We've achieved some of our dreams--now we want to enjoy some of our skills. Will this be our last boat? Who knows. I wish you all well, Les

Jun 15, 2004
- - Edmond, OK
Dang swampcreek!

It's like looking in a mirror! I started with the same model and year Hobie (still have it, sail still looks great), then moved up to a new Hunter 260 (one of the last ones off the line). Hobie for when I want adrenalin, Hunter for when I want to relax. Thought the same thing about the Hunter: trailerable so I can explore. However, work demands have made that rare, and instead I keep it in a slip so I can arrive and be on the water in 5 min for an evening relaxing sail. Still can take it for a long vacation to other waters if I want to. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either one again. Love the ability to live a weekend or longer on it, but I doubt I would be as comfortable doing that on anything smaller. Sure, it may cost more than what you've allocated, but with an actual head, galley, and sleeping area, the interest on a loan secured by the boat is tax deductible. Something to seriously consider in your financial calculations. Last similarity: Wife and I start shopping for a 35-40' cat this summer. Probably be a year or two before we settle on one, but hope to give it 7 yrs in charter then retire on it. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.