Would you buy a 361?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steven Broad

We are thinking of purchasing a 361. Any +/- feedback would be greatly apreciated. Is the fuel tank large enough? Thoughts on lead vs. iron keel. Other alternative is a Dufour. Thanks!!

C

Charlie Gruetzner

Great Boat!!!!

Steven, I took delivery of a 361 this past June and love it. I find it to be a very seaworthy boat with plenty of room. It is easy to sail. I often singlehand. In fact, I singlehanded the boat to Montauk this summer. Like you I was a little concerned about the fuel tank but have not have had any problems. It is very consersative on fuel. I would not hestitate to recommend the 361. I think you would be very happy. Good luck Charlie Gruetzner S/V Angels' Grace

B

Brian Pickton

Keel hauled!

Oct.31 Dear Steve, I don't know the fuel capacity of the 361, so I can't comment on that other than to note that Hal and Margaret Roth have circumnavigated and made many other notable passages in boats with 35 gallon fuel capacity. Our F456, with a 50 Hp. Perkins sips along at .6 to .7 gallons an hour, depending on how hard I run her, but I tend to take it easy. We've travelled from Vancouver to the Caribbean in it and supplement our 55 gallon tank with 4 five gallon jerry cans. We haven't run out of fuel yet, although the passage from Cartagenga to Aruba took 42 gallons. As to lead verses iron keels, it's really a none issue. If your really concerned about the density of the metal in your keel make up your mind that your going to spring for a spent uranium keel, like Pen Duick IV, otherwise, don't worry about it. Beneteau has got the ballast ratio right which is the important consideration. As for the lead keel taking a blow that would crack an iron keel, I've never actually seen an instance of that. Furthermore, if you hit something hard enough to crack an iron keel than your boat must have fallen off a truck racing down the interstate, because these things are not fragile. Seriously, we've been aground an embarrassing number of times and have managed to only put a few minor scrapes into our keel. With respect to corrosion, our 15 year old keel bolts show exterior rust, but that is all. We took the opportunity when we bought the boat to remove the artificial reef that was growing on it and to apply 7 coats of epoxy barrier coat, principally to provide a good base for the bottom paint and to inhibit corrosion. That was 7 years ago and so far so good. I hope this helps. Fair winds Brian Pickton aboard the Legend, Rodney Bay, St. Lucia, West Indies.

Status
Not open for further replies.