Would this start a small diesel in an emergency

Nov 24, 2014
Catalina 310 Staten Island
Last fall, I bought a 2003 Catalina 310 with a three cylinder Universal diesel. At the moment I am having a wiring problem and am awaiting professional help. A farmer I know from Ohio who has a kubota Tractor with that same engine claims that connecting the positive clamp from a booster pack to the starter motor and the negative to the engine block will start my motor. Any truth to that claim?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
An automotive battery booster with jumper clamps and large diameter wire is my Plan C for getting engine started. Plan A - house battery bank, Plan B - engine start battery, Plan C - battery booster. It works well.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I have used one to start a Yanmar three cylinder..worked fine.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Just like jump starting a car. Normally you'd hook up to the battery, but if your battery's not connected, then the positive lug on the starter (where the battery would be connected) is the same thing. Leave the jump pack connected while you run, that way your gauges and things will work. A non electronic controlled diesel doesn't need a battery to run, once it's started, unless it relies on an electric lift pump. Yours does have an electric pump, but it might run without it depending on the fuel tank installation. If the tank is much lower than the engine it won't. If level or above it will. Hopefully the wiring to that is working.

Nov 24, 2014
Catalina 310 Staten Island
Thank you all for your helpful replies. I will try it out today. Here is a picture of my booster pack. It uses a high capacity Lithium ion battery as is found in cellphones, laptops, and digital cameras, only about ten times the capacity. It also has two USB ports for charging the above mentioned items. Mutton Dressed as Lamb; It's what's for Dinner
100_1517.JPG

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
I would be more concerned with how you are going to reach the starter motor. I would need a person with very long, thin arms, preferably with an extra joint or two. Connecting at the batteries (with the battery connected or not) might be an easier option.

mdz

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
That would be the problem. I have to pull my alternator just to look at the starter. Probably a lot easier in the tractor.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Install easily accessible remote battery start lugs.