Worth the Money

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paul Heil

I'm considering buying a mid 70's 22 o'day. Asking price $3700. Boat is currently on trailer here in myrtle beach. It looks to be in pretty good shape. I'm new to sailing(1 year) and have previosly owned a 16' daysailor. I would like something small enough to sail single handed but big enough for weekend trips for my small family(spouse & 10 year old). The current owner has inside empty,no cushions or portapotty or fresh water tank, as he mostly day sailed it, new bottom paint, good running long shaft outboard, 3 sails , anchors , etc. are with it. Tralor is in so-so shape, although I plan on keeping in a slip 8 months out of the year. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, specifically on ease of sailing,performance,can I make it comfortable as a weekender for the family. ThankYou, Paul

M

Mike

A project

It doesn't take much to make a boat "liveable" for weekending. With a 22 footer, you're really talking about camping out anyway. That being said, it sounds like you would have a considerable amount of work to do to make this boat a real weekender. A new portapotti (a good one that is suitable for use by three people for a few days) will cost you about $120. I can't tell from your post if the boat has a water system (sink, plumbing) and is just missing the water storage tank, or if it is totally without running water. Either way, this is a much bigger project than installing a portapotti. You might want to consider if it is worth it. I know some people who just bring jugs of water aboard. IMHO, the biggest (i.e., most expensive) issue you have in making this boat into a weekender is the lack of cushions. You will be shocked to find out how much they will cost you. I would not be surprised if you are quoted prices in the neighborhood of $1500-$2000 for new cushions. That is a pretty hefty chunk of change to plunk down on a $3700 boat. I rejected purchasing a really nice older Oday with bright orange vinyl cushions for that very reason. As far as sailing qualities go, I like the Oday 22, especially the ones with a centerboard. However, if you are really looking to stay aboard and want a 22 footer, I would go with the Catalina 22 over the Oday. The Catalina has a few big advantages over the Oday: Catalina is still in business and still makes and supports the boat; you can get parts cheaply and easily. Second, the Catalina has the pop-top cabin, which makes a BIG difference on a 22 foot boat when you are staying overnight. Third, there will be a lot of Catalina 22's available to choose from no matter where you are (it is the most popular production sailboat ever by far), and it will hold its value. However, I prefer my boat, the Oday 23 to either. It has the keel/centerboard combo which I think is superior to the Catalina's swing keel, and it has a separate cabin forward, giving privacy to anyone who needs to use the head. Good luck.

D

dave

1500 tops for that

that's way too much for that od ad small f a boat

G

Gene Kauffman

$$$$$

The price is too high! That boat should sell for between $2,500.00 and $3,000 tops. My 22 is a nice overnighter. I added a deep cycle battery, VHF, stereo, and big charging system. I installed a new porta potti. the water system is simply a 5 gallon jug that fits between the V-berths to a hand pump on the galley. Check the hull for small blisters on that year O'Day. It's not a serious problem if they are pinhole size or slighly larger.

R

R.W.Landau

There are some exceptions

I agree with Mike but, if this boat was just rebedded or has new sails you may want to consider it over a $2500 to $3000 boat that has alot of work. Having that work already done could be worth it. r.w.landau I do think it is still abit high.

J

Justin - O'day Owners' Web

I think you need to low ball him or walk away

Paul - The O'day 22 is a great boat to consider. You will find many more Catalina 22's out there but people seem to hold on to the little O'days longer. Must mean something. The price is too high, however. You ought to be able to get a fully equipped boat in very good condition for that price. I think you ought to keep looking. Justin - O'day Owners' Web

D

Dave

Seems high to me

I bought a 1985 222 that was in good shape with trailer and motor two years ago for $3900. Trailer was fine, except for a little rust. I think that price is probably still close to the market value of this boat with all the prerequisite stuff (anchors, cushions, porta-pottie, etc.) I would try to get this seller to lower the price a bit. Good luck. Dave

J

Josh

$3500 for mine...

I paid $3500 for mine, and it came with EVERYTHING. The only thing it didn't come with was the Origo stove. The only problem it had was disuse. The fact that the interior is devoid of everything should lower the price considerably. Unless the exterior, sails, and rigging are pristine or new that's pretty expensive. The quote of $1500 for cusions is pretty high though. If you purchase and fit the foam yourself, select the fabric (something of a duck material), and take it to a seamstress you should be able to get it done cheap. You need to stay away from anyone that specializes in 'Marine' or 'RV' equipment if you can at all help it. You can expect the prices to be around 250% at such places. Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.