Worth Investigating?

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I am SO glad you are not using that mainsail! ;^)

And you are right, you can spend a lot less money if you by used sails. The issue I have with used sails is, why did someone sell them'? In 95% of the cases, it is because it was used up. The cloth MIGHT be in good shape, but the shape is shot. So you end up spending 1/3 the cost of new to get 1/3 of the performance. Its really not a bargain. I've said it before, Life's to short to sail with crappy sails.
Jackdaw,

I agree completely. If it had been in the budget, I would have loved to buy new ones. I even went to my local Doyle sail loft and had them quote me, but I could not afford that route.

That being said, if you shop right, there are definitely some used bargains available. I heard stories of like new sails being bought by resellers at insurance auctions after Katrina and Sandy. Just because the boat was wrecked, doesn't mean the sails were bad. Additionally some sailors, (no one here!!) have more money than sense, and replace perfectly good sails on a regular basis, While others might drop sails off at a loft for service, and never come back to pick them up.

First thing he needs to do is find out the deal on the boat, and only then should he worry about what additional expenses there may be to get her sailing again.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
I have purchased 2 used genoas and 1 used main for my H30 on Ebay. I always contact the seller first to make sure I can return if it doesn't meet my expectations. The 150 genoa was near new and well worth the $400. The 120 was in good condition with no complaints ($250). The main was horrible ($150). I contacted the seller and he refunded most of my money. It wasn't worth the shipping to send it back. It was going to be used as a spare anyway so no big deal. Kind of a hit or miss situation...that's why I contact the seller first to make sure they stand behind what they are selling.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I have been happy with both of mine. Overall condition and shape were good, and they sail nicely. Your experience may vary.