worried about stress cracks

Jan 9, 2014
oday 272 le westport, ma
lost my mast and boom in sept of last year. I bought a salvage boat for the mastI
and it's in good shape. I am concerned about the stress cracks where the mast deck mounts. They might have been there before. Wonder if they look serious or could leave them. Appreciate any advice.
thanks
Paul D Beam 89 272 le

IMG_1031 (1).JPG

IMG_1029.JPG
IMG_1029.JPG

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
If those cracks are the only concern, I don't think they are too serious. How does the top of the cabin look (depressed around the mast step, or flat/convex as originally built? Compression post on good condition?).

Any other major cracks elsewhere?

If in doubt. You could get a good surveyor to look at it, but does not seem too serious to me (I am NOT a reputable surveyor! ).

How did you lose your mast and boom?

Greg

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
You might have some wet core in there that is freezing in winter, expanding, and causing the cracks. Have someone check with a moisture meter, shouldn't be too big a job to fix a local area like that if that's the case. You could also pull off that mast base plate and see if the screws were sealed well, and fish around in the screw holes with a bent paper clip or something to see if the core is all soft and mushy. You should pull that plate and reseal everything with butyl tape or other sealant while you are at it anyway. Given the age of the boat it is due for some re-sealing of fasteners on the deck.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
You could remove the step plate, over drill the holes and properly pot them with epoxy. As you do that, you will see whether the material that come out is dry or wet. If it is wet, you have a deck recoring job to do in that area. Youtube it. If the material is dry, epoxy the holes, redrill them to the right size through the epoxy, bevel them, and install the step plate and bolts with butyl rubber.
make sure you tape the underside of the holes before pouring in the epoxy!

Aug 3, 2012
As for the cracks, you would need to fill them whether you have wet core or not.

Jan 9, 2014
oday 272 le westport, ma
Hi Greg
It was either a bad rigging job or, more likely, failure of the piece of cast alum between deck plate and mast. Was 10knots of wind and 2 ft sea. Closed haul and BAM it just came crashing down
no one hurt Just an early end to season. Thanks for advice
Paul

Aug 3, 2012
Sorry to hear about your loss. Thank goodness no one was hurt!